April: The Significance of National Stress Awareness Month

Leilani Dowding
“April is recognized as National Stress Awareness Month to bring attention to the negative impact of stress. Managing stress is an essential component of a healthy lifestyle. Knowing how to manage stress can improve mental and physical well-being as well as minimize exacerbation of health-related issues.It’s critical to recognize what stress and anxiety look like, take steps to build resilience and know where to go for help”

“April is recognized as National Stress Awareness Month to bring attention to the negative impact of stress. Managing stress is an essential component of a healthy lifestyle. Knowing how to manage stress can improve mental and physical well-being as well as minimize exacerbation of health-related issues. It’s critical to recognize what stress and anxiety look like, take steps to build resilience, and know where to go for help.”

To get a better understanding of the importance of this month, let’s see how some of the Santa Rosa High School students deal with stress:

According to Santa Rosa Senior Alina Abbott,
“To manage my stress I tend to crochet and listen to music which helps me stay in a good calm headspace,” Abbott said. “I also practice positive self-talk and remind myself my stress will pass and things will be ok,”

Practicing calming activities like crocheting is a great way to manage stress and maintain a positive headspace.

According to Josh, a Santa Rosa sophomore,
“When I feel stressed or overwhelmed I like to watch movies, specifically comedies, and caring movies. Watching movies tends to put me in a better mood… I also play sports like football, basketball, and wrestling that help me when I’m stressed.”

Stress can be a very hard feeling to combat and deal with, especially as the school year is coming to an end and finals are coming up. However, it’s very important to remember the things that help relieve our stress (Leilani Dowding)

A great way to deal with and manage stress is taking time on sports or activities we enjoy. Especially as the weather is getting better and the sun is coming out, it’s a great time to start practicing activities we find enjoyable. “Regular exercise can increase self-confidence, improve your mood, help you relax, and lower symptoms of mild depression and anxiety. Exercise can also improve your sleep, which is often disrupted by stress, depression, and anxiety.”

According to Skye Sanchez, Santa Rosa Freshman,
“Whenever I’m stressed or overwhelmed I read my bible and pray. It helps me calm down and puts me in a much better headspace.”

For those who are religious, spending time praying to a higher power and spending time in the church can be very stress-relieving and a great way to feel positive.

Stress can be a very hard feeling to combat and deal with, especially as the school year is coming to an end and finals are coming up. However, it’s very important to remember the things that help relieve our stress. I implore you to practice mindful activities for the rest of this month and see how it helps improve your stress levels and overall mood.

.