Beyond Roses: Celebrating Valentine’s Day with a Flourish of Self-Love

Valentine’s Day is the day dedicated to showing love and appreciation to those who mean the most to us, a time to find comfort in chocolates and roses and all the cheesy cliches and “I love you’s”.

Valentine’s Day is a great time to remind us of all the love we have around us and a time to celebrate those who mean most to us. But this Valentine’s Day we should all take time to appreciate ourselves and practice self-love.

Valentine’s Day is a great time to remind us of all the love we have around us and a time to celebrate those who mean most to us. But this Valentine’s Day we should all take time to appreciate ourselves and practice self-love. (Leilani Dowding)

Self-love is a journey, but a very important one.

Taking time every day to practice activities that make us feel good is important for maintaining a positive lifestyle.

Often we forget ourselves in the midst of a busy schedule whether it’s with school, family, sports, or work. Finding time to do something that makes us feel good and positive about ourselves is often last on our to-do list, but let’s make it first.

No matter what self-love looks like to you, whether it’s making your bed, starting the day off with a positive quote, or going on a run or an afternoon walk. Those little things make a huge difference!

No matter what self-love looks like to you, whether it’s making your bed, starting the day off with a positive quote, or going on a run or an afternoon walk. Those little things make a huge difference! (Leilani Dowding)

It’s important to ask ourselves what practicing self love looks like…

According to some SRA students:

“I practice self love by making myself look pretty, I do skincare, I get my nails done, I clean my room.” Said Junior Sophia Rothermel, “Doing this makes you confident.” She says.

“I don’t really practice self love, but I think I can do that more by writing positive affirmations on my mirror.” Said Sophomore Isabella Semencar

“I don’t practice self love, but if I were to, I think I would take more time to myself and do more of the things I enjoy.” Said Sophomore Anthony Marlow
Many of us don’t prioritize ourselves and get caught up in the million other things we have to do. Often by the end of the day setting time aside for ourselves seems unrealistic… but it doesn’t have to be.

This is the time to start. So I encourage you, do the little things to prioritize yourself, make a few minutes of the day about you, and see the difference ten minutes can make on your whole day. Do something you enjoy and something that makes you feel happy. You deserve it!

I encourage you, to do the little things to prioritize yourself, make a few minutes of the day about you, and see the difference ten minutes can make on your whole day. Do something you enjoy and something that makes you feel happy. You deserve it! (Leilani Dowding )