Remembering Sam Rubin

Sam Ruben, a beloved figure in the entertainment world and a cherished member of the KTLA 5 family, passed away suddenly on Friday, May 10th, at the age of 64.

With a career spanning over three decades, Rubin joined KTLA in 1991, where he endeared himself to millions of viewers through his insightful reporting and infectious charm. Rubin’s unexpected passing has left a void in his colleagues and fans alike.

Despite his last appearance on the air being just the day before, Rubin succumbed to a heart attack, leaving those around him in shock and disbelief.

Joits – Flickr

Throughout his tenure at KTLA, Rubin’s contributions were immeasurable. His encyclopedic knowledge of film and television, coupled with his warm personality, made him an integral part of the morning broadcast and a defining figure of KTLA’s identity.

Colleagues and viewers alike have flooded KTLA’s website with an overflow of condolence messages, reflecting on Rubins’s impact.
Patricia Lange expressed, “ Heaven had gained a very special angel,” while Rhiannon Jung fondly remembered Rubin as “my sweet goofy uncle with a heart of gold.” Aimee Lopez summed up the sentiment, stating, “The world lost one of its best.”

“I just wanted to say to all his family and friends that I am so sorry for your loss. Sam was a beautiful human being and truly cared for everyone he came in contact with. I will miss his humor and smiles. I feel so blessed to see him and wondered what kind of mischief he would get into next. I’m so impressed with his son, Colby, who talked about his Dad in such a loving way. We will miss you Sam. You were truly one of a kind. RIP Sam.” writes John, Kathryn and Brandon Purdy.

“I have heard and seen it, and I have yet to believe that Sam is gone. I never knew him in person but I knew him. My tears are still falling since Friday. My mornings will never be the same, sitting and watching the clock waiting for Sam’s part to finish before leaving for work. That smile and laughter no more. My deepest sympathies to the Rubin family and the KTLA family. We will never forget you! I love you guys.” writes Bree – you can read more heartfelt messages from the KTLA website linked at the bottom of the page.

Rubin’s reach extended far and beyond the confines of the studio. His celebrity interviews became a staple of morning television, with Hollywood legends and rising stars alike considering it a rite of passage to be interviewed by him. His deep connections to Socal, stemming from his birth in San Diego and education at Occidental College in Los Angeles, further endeared him to viewers.

Throughout his illustrious career, Rubin received numerous awards, including Emmys and a Golden Mike for Best Entertainment Reporter. His contributions were also recognized with a lifetime achievement award from the Southern California Broadcasters Association. Beyond accolades, Rubin’s presence at prestigious events like the Academy Awards and the Emmy’s. Where his interviews with celebrities resembled joyful reunions, which solidified his status as an industry icon.

As the entertainment world mourns the loss of Sam Rubin, his legacy lives on through the countless lives he touched and the memories he created. His warmth, humor, and passion for storytelling will forever be remembered by those who had the privilege of knowing him, whether in person or through the screen.

Read more at the KTLA 5 website: https://ktla.com/entertainment/sam-rubin-ktla-5-morning-news-legend-dies-at-64/

Read more condolence messages or even add your own here:
https://ktla.com/news/local-news/sam-rubin-viewer-condolences/#:~:text=L.A.’s%20Very%20Own%2C%20KTLA,and%20entertained%20millions%20of%20people.