Is Car Culture going to crash?

Daksh Bagga
One of the most notable cars of its era this 59 Cadillac Coupe Deville displays its chrome trim which was typical for the late 50s and 60s as well as the Iconic tailfins and front design that catch the eye of anyone nearby. Compared to the modern Cadillacs of today there is close to no resemblance.

Is it just me, or does every silver, white, and grey car look the same? I know they aren’t, but despite that, the differences are minimal. Modern vehicles’ body style and design are not unique anymore; they look more and more similar. That’s no coincidence either; in the search for efficiency and mass production, the companies that once made era-influencing cars, trucks, and sports cars now produce the amazingly dull SUVs and crossovers you get stuck behind in traffic. However, this same efficiency saves money for major corporations, gaining a more significant profit. For consumers, the trade-off is gas mileage and comfort, which attracts most consumers, but will that impact the car and vehicle culture built over the last one hundred-plus years that focused on unique ideas and creative designs?

The beautiful and iconic colors of the past are eye-catching to this day. Colors like teal, competition orange, calypso coral, and many others were used in the factory. Some color options may not have been standard, such as calypso coral, but they were still produced and optional, while most cars are grey and silver off the lot today. There is so much to say about color and its history, not only about current car culture but also from the beginning of car manufacturing. The color of a car is the first thing you see, so the withholding of different colors deprives those who want a difference no option. Despite that, people who love the paint will find other options for their car, often finding someone else or painting it themselves.

This is Caleb’s 99 Shelby Cobra Mustang with “re-built internals, supercharged and other performance mods.” “I am currently making a little over 500 WHP on 9lbs of boost but can easily make over 700+ WHP if I up the boost a few pounds”

The body styles that once captivated and attracted people to cars are disappearing. Where craftsmanship is shown on the body of the car, such as in the 1950s, the era of bubble fenders and smooth curves, we now have flat stainless steel, so-called “modern trucks.”

“I definitely agree, it is sad to see that the sense of what made cars so unique at an older period is fading away as priorities for producing these vehicles continue to change as the years go by. For example, inflation has led efficiency to become one of the largest factors, leading manufacturers to use similar designs to try and chase maximum efficiency,” stated Junior Daksh Bagga.

While the modern car industry has its merits, one can’t help but feel disappointment. The major corporations, in their pursuit of efficiency and profit, have sacrificed the uniqueness and craftsmanship that once defined car design. Yet, they continue to churn out vehicles that serve their purpose of getting people from A to B efficiently and comfortably. It’s a bittersweet reality that leaves me questioning the future of car design and culture.

Caleb Hylkema gave his input on the subject saying, “I do think that companies are focused on profit because nowadays they have to, but I do not think they are losing creative characteristics. Nowadays, the ‘creativity’ is a lot different than the standard back then, so I don’t think creativity is going down just different. For instance, companies are trying to make things look futuristic now, which is not necessarily wrong. It’s just different. Car enthusiasts like myself tend not to care for this design, but it doesn’t mean it’s bad. The world and its standards are simply changing. I personally like older cars more, but it’s more of a personal opinion. I know that many non-car people like the simplicity of new cars. Performance, on the other hand, is switching to electric, which I personally hate mainly because it takes away our freedom. Forcing us to use electric and switch to it revokes our freedom. Along with that, batteries are just as harmful or more to make than using gas. Along with that, having to charge takes a lot longer than refueling. I personally don’t care about which cars are on the road as it’s all a matter of personal preference. Many people are not car people, so they don’t really care what their car looks like as long as it works for them, which I agree with. Many families need a big SUV or van to haul around luggage and people. I also think that the scarcity of cool cars on the road is what makes them unique because if we constantly saw cool cars the standard for “cool” cars would keep going up, and the cars we see now we might not classify them as cool if we see them a lot.”

The supercharged v8 of Caleb Hylkema’s 99 Shelby Cobra Mustang

Cars are a way to describe yourself through automotive taste. Your car and how you take care of it reflect on the person you are. So, despite everything, it all depends on what people want and need. Car Culture is not going to die. Even with the lack of flair, people will still need cars. The interests depend on the person, so for “car people,” there will always be ways to build, modify, and create for others. There are many to choose from for those who simply need a car.