(Opinion) Who deserves each NBA award?

Unknown
Victor Wembanyama (left) and Sidy Cissoko (right) stand tall holding silver basketballs to match their team colors.

The NBA awards are being announced this week, April 29- May 05, 2024, during TNT’s NBA pregame show during the playoffs, which are big accomplishments in a player’s career and are starting to be given out. These awards include Rookie of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year, Most Improved Player, Clutch Player of the Year, Sixth Man of the Year, and MVP (Most Valuable Player).

I think this year’s awards will go to Luka Doncic for MVP, Victor Wembanyama for Rookie of the Year, and Rudy Gobert for Defensive Player of the Year.

Rookie of the Year: The obvious winner is Victor Wembanyama, averaging 21.4 points, 10.6 rebounds, 3.9 assists, 1.2 steals, and 3.6 blocks and shooting 46.5% from the field. He currently leads the league as a rookie in blocks and had a career-high 40 points in a single game. The closest rookie to his stats is Chet Holmgren, who was drafted last year but suffered an injury that kept him from playing his entire rookie season.

Luka Doncic looking downcourt as he or his team made a defensive play.

Next, MVP, which is mostly determined by looking at stats and numbers. Luka Doncic is leading the votes for this category. He is averaging 33.9 points, 9.2 rebounds, and 9.8 assists and he has made an amazing contribution to the Dallas Mavericks. On January 26th, Doncic scored 73 points against the Atlanta Hawks. Other Contenders are Nikola Jokic with 26.4 points, 6.9 assists, and 10.7 rebounds per game.

For defensive player of the year, it has to be Rudy Gobert who is 4th in the league in defensive rebounds and 6th in blocks. He has been a key component this year for the Minnesota Timberwolves. Gobert stands at 7’1 and has a wingspan of 7’9 which helps with his defensive efforts. Victor Wembanyama is also a candidate for DPOY, leading the league in blocks stands at 7’4, and has a wingspan of 8 feet. His wingspan makes for some great block and it helps with that.

Rudy Gobert warming up for a game ahead of him. He looks up to look at when the game starts. (Erik Drost)

Watch this year’s awards being handed out on TNT’s NBA pregame show. I expect the awards to be based on how much the player has influenced and how much they fit into the award.