Car Maintenance: What to Do

Oil changes, tread wear, fluids, belts- these things that come to mind when considering maintaining your car. At least, that’s what I’d like to say; many individuals don’t know simple car maintenance, which is not only an issue for the car but also a safety concern. As an SRA student and car enthusiast, Daksh Bagga, when asked about what comes to mind when car maintenance is involved, says, “ Periodic maintenance is important, but inspecting is important as well; knowing what your car needs and providing for those needs are an important aspect of owning a car,” or any Vehicle for that matter.

Oil and Oil filters are components commonly replaced in vehicles after 5,000 – 7,000 miles. It’s important to find the correct oil specific to the engine otherwise lubrication problems can arise. (Rinald Rolle)

The main maintenance components for your car can be found in the owner’s manual; the easiest option is to read the owner’s manual. Follow up by contacting your dealer for scheduled or recommended oil changes and other maintenance options that are just as important. For example, brake pads. The brake pads are used to stop and slow your vehicle, and when those pads are worn away, it is best to fix them as soon as possible, not only to prevent further damage but also for the safety of the driver and passengers. This also applies to fellow drivers on the road as well. Again, this can be found by reading the owner’s manual. You don’t have to read the whole thing cover to cover but skim through the pages to check for mainly oil changes and simple maintenance.

Many newer cars and trucks have sensors that notify the owner through the dashboard, recommending oil changes and maintenance needed. It is a great modern application, but those who don’t have these more modern vehicles will have to keep in mind that they may need their windshield wipers or brake pads, items that need replacement but more than likely won’t be recognized by the cars computer system that recommends maintenance in the first place.

A different angle on maintenance and a reminder that there is more to a car than oil changes. Making sure tires and brakes are taken care of as well is an important part of owning a car. (Samuel Torres) https://www.bridgestoneamericas.com/en/company/safety/choosing-tires/determining-tire-size#

For those who want to take care of their vehicles, it’s quite simple depending on the task at hand. For example, an oil change is seemingly complicated at first but only requires simple tools and a little know-how. A ratchet with according sockets, oil catch, new engine oil (specifically for the car you are working on), and a new oil filter. It’s a good idea to include paper towels or gloves if preferred. Many videos and online tutorials provide great information and detailed explanations on how to change oil, such as a YouTuber, ChrisFix, who provides a great video with a well-explained process. There are hundreds if not thousands of other videos that can be found online as well not only about oil changes but brake pads and many other recommended maintenance tasks.

SRA teacher Jack Warlof shared his experience with car maintenance explaining that he “kept up with oil changes” and how while driving from Los Angeles to Lake Elsinore he hit a pothole and broke the bracket attaching the shock to the axle where he heard a “Loud rattling noise.” At the same time, this situation isn’t casual maintenance; it points out that anything can happen and it’s best to be prepared.