March Madness Review

Ranked as one of the most watched events in history, the NCAA Tournament, “March Madness” took over in the 2024 season for Division I Women’s Basketball.

The NCAA tournament field grew to 16 teams in 1951, doubled to 32 in 1975, and expanded to its current size of 64 teams in 1985. An opening-round game was introduced in 2001. Three more games were added to that round in 2011 for the inaugural First Four.
The term ‘March Madness’ was first used in basketball by an Illinois high school official, Henry V. Porter, in 1939.

Caitlin Clark started the night by going No. 1 overall to the Indiana Fever after helping Iowa to the national championship game in back-to-back seasons.

Angle Reese was the No. 7 pick of the WNBA draft. will have an added sense of comfort under new head coach and Hall of Famer Teresa Weatherspoon, who played at Louisiana Tech in 1984, when Mulkey was starting there as an assistant coach.Chicago Sky: Angel Reese, F, LSU
“My mom was crying before the show even started, so it started there,” Reese said. “Then my brother was, like, agitating me, I bet you $100 that you cry, I bet you $100 that you cry. He kind of got me, too. And I had a great conversation, she was saying, with Chicago, so I kind of knew— if it wasn’t the Mystics [at No. 6], I knew it was going to be Chicago that was going to be calling me home.”

The Chicago Sky selected Angel Reese in their first-round draft pick during the WNBA Draft.

Stanford Senior forward Cameron Brink was selected with the second overall pick by the Los Angeles Sparks in the 2024 WNBA Draft. Brink was projected to go somewhere in the top four of the draft with many thinking she’d go number two to the Sparks, staying on the West Coast she knew exactly where she was going.

Cameron Brink is excited to be staying on the West Coast.

“I love that I get to stay on the West Coast, and I love that they took a chance on me,” Brink said. “I feel like I’m just going to show that I can work really hard and help them a lot. But also, I’ll be close to my family, which is really important for me.”

March Madness wouldn’t become associated with the NCAA tournament until Brent Musberger used it during coverage of the 1982 tournament. The anthem of March Madness was first aired following the NCAA men’s basketball tournament in 1987. It was initially scheduled to run after Super Bowl XXI but the game coverage ran long. NIT (1938) was founded before the NCAA tournament. The NIT field is now usually made up of teams that miss the NCAA tournament. UMBC first owned the biggest upset in March Madness history, becoming the first 16-seed to win against a 1-seed.

The 2024 WNBA Draft showcases the next generation of women’s basketball talent, with top prospects poised to make an immediate impact on the league. Teams are eager to secure players who can elevate their rosters and compete at the highest level. As scouts and analysts scrutinize each prospect’s skills, athleticism, and potential, anticipation builds for the draft day drama. From dynamic guards with lightning speed to versatile forwards with dominant post presence, the draft class promises diversity and depth. As franchises make their selections, they’re not just drafting players; they’re investing in the future of their teams and the continued growth of women’s basketball.

The University of Iowa basketball star was predictably selected with the top pick of the WNBA draft on April 15 by the Indiana Fever

“When you’re just sitting at a table waiting for your name to be called, that really allows the emotions to feed you,” Clark said. “You’re with your family. Obviously, playing a basketball game, I’m not out there with my family. So sharing that moment with them and enjoying it, and people that have really had my back and believed in me more than anyone is super special.”

Angel Reese and Caitlin Clark pose for photos before the 2024 WNBA Draft.