Changing Careers?

Changing Careers?
Madison Flores

Every kid at some age has mentioned the words, “When I grow up, I want to be…” All people have different interests in mind. But, do they achieve it?

There are many career choices for people to choose from. From mechanical engineers to surgeons to even the arts. But how do people decide what they want their career to be?

Makayla Penner, a freshman at Santa Rosa Academy says that there are many ways to find out what jobs people may be interested in. “I think when someone is doing something and they feel like they could do that for the rest of their life. They want to be good at it and people agree with that, it’s a kind of realization that just happens. It might start as a hobby until the puzzle pieces click together and you know that this is something you could and want to do forever.”

This has worked for some of the students at SRA. Such as Shahed “Shelby” Alawi, a senior at Santa Rosa Academy.

“The job career that I know that I want to pursue after high school is Animation because growing up, I loved drawing and I loved that animators work together to make a masterpiece. I have always been interested in drawing characters like anime characters and right now I moved to realism drawings. So I want to be a storyboard teller or character designer for DreamWorks or Walt Disney Studio. It’s been my dream forever and I can’t wait to start going to college to get my animation degree so I can reach my dream.”

Though many people have ideas on what career they want in the future, that doesn’t mean that it has been the same throughout their lives. Faith Krueger, another senior at Santa Rosa, had an entirely different idea of what her career was going to be just a few years ago.

“I want to be a Nurse Practitioner and either work on the sidelines of sports games or work in a hospital either in the ER or the NICU. I’ve wanted this career since sophomore year. [But,] I have felt strongly since I was really young that I am supposed to help people, and I think this is how I am supposed to do it.”

Not only students have changed their minds. Ms. Hernandez, one of the school’s Algebra 2 teachers, had not always thought teaching was her calling in life. But rather, an entirely different career.

“Being a Criminal Profiler has also piqued my interest. However, I attribute much of that fascination to the crime shows I indulge in. CSI was a close contender, but I opted against it due to its competitive demand and my need for a stable job.”

One key detail that people believe in finding and getting a job is that the applicant requires patience.

Zoe Castilleja, a freshman, has some advice as well. She says for people “to take their time to figure it out and not be in a rush, and don’t rush into things. Also, do not be afraid to try new things.”

Some students have found that they have a specific feeling when they know what job they want. Finding that once they do it, it is the only job that they could ever do.

Penner says, “I feel at home when I’m acting, it’s such a wonderful feeling to be able to act as whole new people and characters, and learning all about the character and really getting to know them so that I can play them to the best of my ability. Acting is my comfort place. It’s hard to describe, I just knew that it was the only thing I could and wanted to do for the rest of my life.”

When it comes to jobs, many found that over time their mindsets changed.

Alawi stated, “Four years ago, I wanted to be a fashion designer and I thought that would be cool because I could draw them and then bring them to life. But after I learned more about how animators do what they do, I knew that this is what I wanted to do. I love animated movies and anime so I want to be a part of making all of the action happen. I love the idea of making something out of just lines and color.”

There are over ten thousand career paths, with many choices and decisions. But with that, there is something for everyone. Each student has their path.

“I would tell people just to try to do everything because there’s something for everyone.” -Penner

“I would tell people just to try to do everything because there’s something for everyone.”

— Makayla Penner

View Comments (1)