The forgotten gem of Tomodachi life

Screen capture of one of the many Sing and dance numbers you can make in Tomodachi Life
DeviantArt

“Tomodachi Life” for the Nintendo 3DS was released on April 18th, 2013 based on Nintendo’s 2009 version on the DS, and since then has been forgotten. For its time, “Tomodachi Life” made a big scene in the YouTube sphere many YouTubers sprouted a series themed around the ridiculous gameplay.

The special thing about “Tomodachi Life” is that you could have your own miis interact with each other on an island. The island in question had clothing stores, A news station, room decor, and a supermarket. All of this was fueled by your missed donations which would be donated every day near the fountain.

With these shops, you could buy your miis clothes and they could develop likes and dislikes. Along with this, miis could develop friendships, rivals, lovers, and even marriages.

The island also had activities your miis could do, which included custom songs and dance numbers.

“The dancing was the best thing I’ve seen in my entire life,” reminisced avid Nintendo fan Skye Sanchez. “I looked forward to it every day, I’m still waiting on DANTDM to continue his series on it.”

Miis of ‘Garu’ and ‘Pucca’. A screenshot encapturing the ridiculousness of having iconic characters in the game. These Miis are based on the South Korean show “Pucca”

The funniest part of the dances is that you could dress your miis up in different costumes and adjust the pitch of their voices. Your miis could also consist of anyone. Picture Taylor Swift, Eric Cartman, and yourself singing together to your custom lyrics. It’s a recipe for a fun disaster.

In “Tomodachi Life”, you could see your miis grow families and find love. Most of which are randomly chosen. Though the game doesn’t allow same-sex couples there were hilarious ways to bypass that which could also end up with even funnier couples.

The customization features were a big favorite of Tomodachi’s life, while you can’t control everything in the game you could customize what the Miis would say when they were happy and sad. Which led to silly things being sad in the happiest of voices.

Special events on the island also have a chance of happening. These include randomized rap battles in front of the town’s fountain which have absurd lyrics.

Accompanying this event, while one of your townfolks is sleeping you have a chance to stroll into a dream they were having. These were bizarre and often hard to understand. Much like our own dreams.

Tomodachi life took everything loved from Nintendo’s “Animal Crossing; Wilf World” and developed a game with your custom island where you observe the lives of your miis and interfere. With these elements was a recipe for a fun-filled disaster.
Though some people consider Pirating Miitomo onto their phones, Many fans are hoping for a comeback adapted to the switch.

“[Nintendo] should put it on the switch,” Sanchez said “The 3DS isn’t making sales as it used to, we need it on an updated software. It would be nice to see something so nostalgic come back.”

View Comments (1)