Should the TV series, Anne with an E be renewed?

TV Guide and Netflix
Anne Shirley is on her way to Charlottetown to visit the orphanage she attended as a child. She is accompanied by Gilbert Blythe and her mission is to find a background about her parents.

“Anne with an E” is a viral Canadian TV series. The show surrounds the life of an orphan girl named Anne Shirley, who gets adopted by siblings Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert. The trio lives in the fictional village called Avonlea on Prince Edward Island. Throughout the series, Anne strives to fight for love and acceptance in the world.

The show discusses topics with the complexities of bullying, sexuality, racism, love, and sexism while also teaching valuable life lessons. The public has shown much love towards this series, as many fans describe it as fascinating, impactful, and inspiring.

“This is probably one of my favorite shows to watch. I really enjoy how each episode makes me eager to see the next one” says Sophia Vigil.

The third season of “Anne with an E” was very successful. This is mainly because many fans wanted to see the relationship between Anne and Gilbert Blythe, one of Anne’s classmates who fell in love with her. The chemistry between the two was finally revealed in the last few episodes of the series. Unfortunately, this would be the last time their love would be portrayed. In 2019, Netflix announced that the show would be canceled, leaving many fans disappointed.

“The main reason I even watched the show in the first place was because of Anne and Gilbert’s relationship. When I finally finished season three, I was beyond satisfied with the ending. I was so upset when I found out that there wouldn’t be a season four, because I really looked forward to seeing the adaptation of their relationship,” states Vigil.

But why was it canceled if most reviews about the show were positive?

“Anne with an E” is a Canadian show, so it must be published in some Canadian film industry. Because of this, Netflix decided to partner with CBC, a Canadian broadcasting company. The show did terrific on both platforms, but when Catherine Tait, the CEO of CBC, noticed that “Anne with an E” was doing better on Netflix than it did on CBC, she had some complaints.

“All I will say is, let us be mindful of how we as Canadians respond to global companies coming into our country” Tait says.

The Canadian broadcasting company decided it would be best not to make content for Netflix because it damaged the Canadian film industry.

Despite constant complaints and backlash from fans about the cancellation of “Anne with an E”, there will not be another season officially.