Is The Apple Vision Pro a Good Thing for Society

Flicker
Its a picture of the outside of a Apple building

On June 5, 2023, Apple revealed The Apple Vision Pro to the public, an AR/VR headset that can change how we interact with technology forever. Despite this, some people have come to ask: Is The Apple Vision Pro a Good Thing for Society?

What the Apple Vision Pro provides is a new realm for education and professional training. Its great AR capabilities can change learning giving people hands-on simulations and interactive content, it also gives more engaging and accessible education for everyone.

To add on this device’s potential in healthcare is a lot from aiding people in medical training with realistic simulations to giving more creative solutions for patient care. Its benefits to surgery and real-time diagnostics could advance the healthcare system.

When asked if the Apple Vision Pro is a good thing for society, Sophomore Israel Rayes said, “The Apple Vision Pro is good cause it has the potential to better education and healthcare”

A picture of the trailer of the Apple Vision ProEven though these advancements seem like The Apple Vision Pro is a great thing for society it’s also very important to address the potential harms that The Apple Vision Pro can give to society. Some examples are Privacy concerns, Social Isolation, and addiction.

Privacy concerns arise because The Apple Vision Pro Collects and processes A lot of personal data for it to addict you more and spend more of your time and money on Apple. Going for a balance between technological advancement and keeping your privacy is an important thing that needs to be strived for.
“It seems like Apple made it to be as addictive as possible which is bad because people already need to go outside and be in the real world but this headset keeps people from doing that.” says sophomore Stephen Reuter.

A picture of the New Apple Vision Pro (Trusted Reviews)

The Apple Vision Pro’s immersive AR experiences have the potential to increase social isolation as the users may become so immersed in the virtual worlds decreasing face-to-face interactions and being in the real world. This detachment from being in physical environments could increase the decline in meaningful social relationships impacting social engagement.

The Apple Vision Pro’s AR Features can also give rise to addiction concerns having the same issues seen in smartphone use but it can be 10 times worse. The AR capabilities of The Apple Vision Pro could lead users to care more about the virtual experience over real-life interactions that can pose a threat to mental health and the well-being of people.

The Apple Vision Pro has a lot of promise to improve societal progress, specifically in education and healthcare. However, its possibility to be a privacy concern, and increase social isolation and addiction makes The Apple Vision Pro a thing that we need to proceed with caution.