Royals sign Bobby Witt Jr. with largest contract in franchise history at $288.8 Million

As a sport that has shaped American society from the Civil War to Civil Rights and all points in between and beyond, the game of baseball supports and reflects many aspects of American life. Whether it’s scoring runs or stealing bases, Bobby Witt Jr. is playing his third season in the majors. On Feb. 5th, Witt was given the opportunity of a lifetime. A $288.8 million contract extension was signed to Witt by the Kansas City Royals.

Royal shortstop Bobby Witt Jr. led the major leagues with 11 triples in 2023. (Troy Taormina)ESPN’s Jeff Passan says, “The deal is worth $288.8 million over 11 years. A shortstop with power and speed on the basepaths, Witt is one of the best young players in baseball, and the contract keeps him with the Royals through his prime on a lucrative deal.”

Witt Jr., plays shortstop. He’s one of the youngest players in baseball. At twenty-three years old and playing his 3rd MLB season, the Kansas City Royals kept him in his prime. Based on Witt’s professional career, he’s been placed in the MLB’s 79th percentile. Witt was selected out of high school with the No. 2 pick in the 2019 MLB draft. Before Witt signed with the Royals, he played three years in the minors and earned “League Player of the Year” Honors in 2021. Soon after Witt joined the Kansas City Royals full time in 2022.

Bobby Witt Jr. has a lucrative new contract in Kansas City and is eager to sign off.

“No doubt.” Witt said this past weekend at the Royals Rally. “It makes you go out there, and you have to prove something. That’s what you work for. That’s what you do each and every day when you’re in the offseason, when you’re up late at night looking at video, whatever it is. That’s why you play this game.”

Witt Jr. seems to take after his father Bobby Witt Sr. Witt’s father played 16 MLB seasons as a pitcher. He won the World Series with the Arizona Diamondbacks in 2001. With Witt Sr. being retired now he became Witt Jr’s. agent, he helped negotiate and secure the record-setting contract. The Kansas City Royals reported, “We’ve signed Witt Jr. with one of the largest contracts in franchise history.”

Over eleven years the contract should be worth $288.8 million, as the years progress this same contract will be worth $377.77 million over 14 seasons.

Bobby Witt Jr. hit a home run and quickly rose as one of the game’s best young talents. (Denny Medley)

“I am incredibly grateful to the Sherman family and the Royals front office for believing in me, and I promise to do everything in my power to help bring championship baseball back to Kansas City! Let’s go!!” Witt said in a post to X, in a reference to John Sherman.

Football might be the focus of Kansas City at the moment, but the Royals are making a statement of their own.