Winning a PGA Tour at Twenty, Dunlap Pockets a Purse of $8,000,000

Golf has been a valuable part of American society for many decades, there have been many players that have made a tremendous impact on the sport. Even with some of these iconic players over the years there has been a slew of new players who are starting to build out a career for themselves in this sport, one of these players being Nick Dunlap.

Nick Dunlap holds the trophy after winning the American Express golf tournament, Sunday, Jan. 21, 2024, in La Quinta, Calif. (Ryan Sun)

Nick Dunlap is a twenty-year-old sophomore at Alabama University. Dunlap is a Professional golfer who is considered to be an amateur. He has worked his way up from his adolescent years. Starting his young career shooting golf’s magic number 59 (13 under par on a par 72 course) at 12 years old.

Dunlap was the first amateur in thirty-three years to win a PGA tour. He is the second youngest golfer to win the PGA tour since World War ll and is considered to be a top-ranked Division l golfer. As a result of being the U.S. Amateur Champion, he was appointed to the North East & North South Amateur Championship award.

Nick Dunlap bypassed more college golf at Alabama to turn pro. (Sean Haffey )On Jan. 21st, Dunlap accepted his offer to join the PGA tour club and plans on making a professional debut. When the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am tour takes place, it will be the first full-field signature event of the season for Dunlap.

“I think I can retire now from being a first-time golf spectator after seeing Nick Dunlap beat all the pros Sunday.” Nicky Loomis, a fellow professional golfer says.
It would be interesting to see how his career is going to pan out. From being a golf caddy at 15 to accomplishing a major win as an amateur in PGA, Dunlap is going pro.

Nick Dunlap became the first amateur to win on the PGA Tour since 1991 on Sunday when he won The American Express. (Sean Haffey)

“I have no idea. I really don’t,” Dunlap said about the decision to turn pro after his win. “It’s really cool to have that opportunity in the first place. … That’s something that it doesn’t just affect me. It affects a lot of people, coaches back there, and my teammates, and it’s a conversation I need to have with a lot of people before I make that decision.”

“The heart of the game is what counts, beating yourself is what makes you improve. Dunlap is reminiscent of Bobby Jones, Grand Slam champion as an amateur, respected the game, money wasn’t a priority.” said SRA Golf coach Micheal Zervic.