Gypsy Rose: Free or Not Free?

Gypsy Rose Blanchard
Gypsy Rose, age 32, taking her first Instagram selfie out of prison. “First Selfie of freedom!”

After being in prison for 8 years, Gypsy Rose Blanchard was released on December 28, 2023, at 3:30 AM. The next morning she was everywhere all over social media and continues to still be. However as time progressed people wondered if the fame she has now, should she truly deserve?

For those living under a rock, Gypsy Rose was sentenced to 10 years in jail after contributing to murdering her mother, Claudine Blanchard, with her then-boyfriend Nicholas Godejohn. During her trial, information was revealed that Gypsy was forced by her mother to fake an illness in order to receive money from the government. Gypsy revealed how her mother would take her to doctors in order to receive treatment for multiple conditions and was bound to a wheelchair and an oxygen tank despite having nothing wrong with her.

Considering the fact that this case will truly be one of the more interesting cases in history, it was understandable the attention Gypsy Rose would get upon her release. Overnight she quickly became one of the most famous American women due to this bone-chilling case. Many people would agree that Gypsy is a hero who deserves this attention “The View” interviewer, Sunny Hostin told Gypsy, “I think you’re very brave for being here,” and, “Thank you for telling your story. I think it will help a lot of people.”
However many others disagree and believe that Gypsy should be institutionalized instead of basking in the view of the public. With “The Federalist” states how “The murder of Dee Dee and the abuse Gypsy endured at her hands is sick and twisted, but so is our culture and the way it is celebritizing Gypsy.”

“I don’t know how I feel about it,” stated Santa Rosa Academy student, Kadence Bernard. “I understand everything she went through must have been terrible for her but I think she should look into getting help.”

Ryan Anderson, age 37, and his wife, Gypsy Rose Blanchard, age 32 taking a picture before the premiere of Gypsy Rose on Lifetime

The Gypsy Rose Blanchard case is a bone-chilling story, but the question continues to hold in people’s minds. Should Gypsy Rose truly be free or institutionalized in getting the actual help that she needs?