[OPINION] Recognizing Modern Genocide: Palestine and the Victims Who Survive There

Over 75 years of torment, the Palestinians went through so much and nearly half the world doesn’t see it. The larger media labels the situation as a “conflict,” and a “complex issue”, when its blatant to see that the sieges in Gaza are not that of war, but f or the purpose of making Palestinians suffer. Yet, the State of Israel and the majority of the countries supporting them want people to believe that their cruel and unusual tactics are for the purpose of “self defense” when that could not be further from the truth.

Right now Gaza has been bombed non-stop for 70 days plus. Specifically the south of Gaza, where Israel told Palestinians that there was safety. Those in the south are facing ground warfare tactics as well. Israel is bringing tanks to fight against Palestinian civilians. Not militia, not resistances, but the civilians that are being targeted.

“Israeli warplanes bombed a house in Dair al-balah city, middle of Gaza Strip.
People were sleeping, as the house was full of displaced people from Gaza City and the northern areas.
At least 14 people got killed and dozens are injured.” – Motaz Azaiza on his Instagram Page

Not only is the south of Gaza being targeted. The refugee camps largley located in Syria and Egypt are being bombed as well. Refugee camps full of the nearly two million displaced Palestinians are being bombed. The people there dont even have homes. They live without supplies or shelter, along with many other issues like unclean water, which is especially difficult as the weather grows colder.

The unclean water, lack of supplies, and lack of shelter are also shared inside Gaza as well. Those there, however, have no access to the supplies being kept outside of the Egyptian-Israeli border. These medical supplies are being kept in the barren parts of Egypt. The supplies that have the potential to save thousands of lives are being kept in the desert in the name of “self defence” by order of the Israeli government. As well as the fact that the Palestinians face the threat of bombs over their heads by the day, it is safe to say that they are living through absolute terror.

If it isn’t the explosions that kill those seeking shelter, it is the injuries caused by the bombs that kill them off. Every time a bomb goes off inside Gaza, it leaves a pile of rubble behind. Piles of rubble that people stay under for hours before being crushed or if their lucky, rescued. However, even if the people under the rubble are rescued, they have the possibility to be injured, which is something that kills just as much as a bomb can. This is mainly due to the complete lack of medical supplies to heal injuries that could be fixed easily in many other countries, which allows for massive bloodloss and needless death.

At least 14 people got killed and dozens are injured.” – Motaz Azaiza on his Instagram page. (Motaz Azaiza)

Despite all this needless suffering, the people of Palestine remain peaceful. The most that they have done collectively is posting information about what has been happening so that the rest of the world can see what they are going through.

To be clear, Palestinians are not affiliated with the Hamas resistance group. Hamas has been confirmed to have been sponsored by Israel who left a monetary trail of millions of dollars to fund this alleged resistance.

Hamas has also been confirmed to be kind to its hostages. Released hostages from Hamas have described their treatment to be that of genuine caring and sincerity. The hostages ate the same meals as the soldiers, recieved the same medical treatments, and were treated with humanity.

In contrast, hostages from Israel have been confirmed to be tortured, humiliated, and treated with cruelty. They have been dehumanized and are being treated like animals. They are starving and the food that they do eat is much worse in quality than the soldiers. The living conditions aren’t livable, and the hostages are not treated like they are human.

Along with this, Israel has not been suffering from their “war”. For every video of a lifeless Palestinian body, there is a video of an Israeli party. For every picture of a Palestinan starving in the cold rain, there is an Israeli complaining about the unavailability of gluten free bread. For every video of a Palestinian protest demanding to have the freedom to live, there is a video of an Israel protest demanding to have the freedom to take land, kill, and spread diaspora.

The suffering of Palestinians is not a conflict, the only conflict is how each side handles their suffering. Palestines suffer and stay kind in their sorrow, while Iraelis suffer and take it out on others. It is not a war, the mass killing does not constitute the claim that there is death on both sides. It is not a complex issue, so genocide is not a complex thing to understand.
Palestinians are people. They have recipes and traditions like everyone else. They have love in their hearts and they have faith in what they believe in just like everyone else. They are human and they deserve the right to live.

View Comments (1)