From Mexico to San Diego

San Diego is just right above the Tijuana-San Ysidro border. Around 698,000 immigrants live in San Diego County. Many immigrants come to the U.S to have them and their children have more job opportunities and leave poverty. Some people get snuck in by paying “coyotes”, some get papers, and some hop the border. There are a lot of ways Mexican people can enter the Tijuana border.

Over the years, the methods changed and now it is more difficult. Immigrants stay in San Diego for many reasons including work or convenience that is by the border.

An aerial view of the San Ysidro-Tijuana border crossing. This border is located in San Ysidro and San Diego is just above.

For newly arrived Mexican people, living in San Diego can be lonely due to not understanding English and not being accustomed to American tradition. It can be a struggle for some if they are illegal trying to work and not get caught by the immigration services. It depends on where they live because some Mexicans live in communities surrounded by other Mexican people where they understand each other in Mexican communities while some can live in a different community where they are outcasts.

Mexican people who move to San Diego find it fun going to places like Balboa pPark and the beach. San Diego is easily accessible because one can bike all over the city. Depending on where in Mexico you came from, San Diego could be similar to where you lived or way different. Because San Diego is so close to the border, there are plenty of authentic Mexican food restaurants where immigrants could eat familiar foods. Some Mexican people started Mexican restaurants that stood the test of time and still exist after plenty of years. For example, a small restaurant in Hillcrest called “La Posta” has been around for over 30 years.

Over the years, culture for Mexicans in San Diego has changed. Some immigrants keep traditional Mexican culture while some adapted to Chicano culture. There is some confusion around what chicano is. It started as a movement in the 1960’s that opposed racism toward Mexican Americans. It was mostly because in the 1940’s pachucos were targeted and beat by police. The culture has evolved and the term is now used for how Mexican Americans identify themselves and people mistakenly use it for the fashion. “Chicano” is usually used as a term for Mexican Americans. Young Mexican Americans in San Diego sometimes have to live in less expensive parts of San Diego and get caught up in street or gang lifestyles. The parents of many young Mexicans work most of the day to maintain their homes so they are unmonitored and don’t have much guidance. The parents expect their children to try to be educated and become successful because they come from poverty but without proper guidance and presence of the parents some kids go to the streets and get caught up in gangs.

Barrio Logan is a great Mexican American landmark. It is home to Chicano Park right under Coronado bridge with plenty of Murals depicting important scenes and icons in Chicano/ Mexican American history and culture. An anonymous Freshman from San Diego was talking about Chicano culture in San Diego and said “Every April in Chicano Park, they have a celebration for our culture with lowriders and a song about Chicano Park.”

A Mural depicting Frida Kahlo under Coronado Bridge in Chicano Park, San Diego. many murals are showing Mexican icons, religious figures, and Aztec structures. (Jay Galvin)

Mexicans in San Diego work hard to make money because they have experienced real poverty and struggle and realize that in America there is so such opportunity and don’t waste time. Many work wherever they can and some make music. Some Mexican musical artists from San Diego include Rosie Hamlet of Rosie and the Originals from National City and Lil Rob from Solana Beach. San Diego has a pretty strong Mexican music scene even though it is not as big as other cities like Los Angeles. Now there is mostly Mexican rappers emerging from the city who are becoming more popular like Lil Maru And Lil Weirdo.

Overall, San Diego has many hispanic traditions that makes hispanic people feel like they belong. You can see it all over the city with the art,food,and architecture. My Grandparents from my mom’s side along with my mom and her younger brother immigrated from Mazatlan,Sinaloa to San Diego. I was born in San Diego and lived there for a year but have constantly been going for my family. My family has a lot of history in San Diego and the city is a very beautiful place with many cultures and makes me feel at home.

Two San Diego Padres hats placed together on a shoe box. The hat to the left used to be Miguel Rosas’ Brother’s hat and the one on the right was bought for him after graduating 8th grade by his dad. (Miguel Rosas)

San Diego is full of cultures and people who call the city home. For Mexicans living in San Diego, we appreciate it for being our home,giving opportunities, and making memories.