Russia’s Increase of Attack on Ukraine

On February 24, 2022, Russia began to invade Ukraine in an escalation of the Russo-Ukrainian War that started in 2014. At dawn of February 24, Russia launched a simultaneous air & ground campaign, commencing air and missile strikes across Ukraine, with some rockets reaching as far as the west as Lviv.

Image of Ukraine after six weeks since the invasion of Ukraine began.

Putin explained that the operation was to “Protect the People” of the Russian-operated breakaway republics. Another reason for the invasion was that Putin and many other Russians believed Ukraine was just an integral part of Russia and did not have its own separate national identity.

The reason the Russian and Ukraine War started in 2014 was after Russia annexed Crimea. The invasion of Ukraine was described as the biggest attack on a European country since the Second World War.

Images of Ukraine during war/invasion.

President Biden has given remarks about the issue, “The prayers of the entire world are with the people of Ukraine tonight as they suffer an unprovoked and unjustified attack by Russian military forces. President Putin has chosen a premeditated war that will bring a catastrophic loss of life and human suffering. Russia alone is responsible for the death and destruction this attack will bring, and the United States and its Allies and partners will respond in a united and decisive way. The world will hold Russia accountable.” (Biden, Joseph “Statement by President Biden on Russia’s Unprovoked and Unjustified Attack on Ukraine” FEBRUARY 23, 2022).

In September 2022, Russia claimed that 5,937 Russian soldiers had been killed. Russia also claimed that 61,207 Ukrainian soldiers had been killed and 49,368 wounded by this point. Through February, April, and September 2023, Russia claimed Ukrainian forces’ losses amounted to 43,000 troops.

In recent days Russia has increased its aerial barrage on Ukraine. Russia had unleashed a wave of nighttime drones across 10 of Ukraine’s 24 regions. They have caused homes to be burned, and destroyed. Ukraine has stated they have intercepted 24 out of the 38 Shahid drones. They had also intercepted a kh-59 cruise missile that had been launched by Russia.

Image of a kh-59 cruise missile.

The missile was meant for warships, and not people. It is able to take down some missile boats, and even cruisers

Russia and Ukraine are building up their ammunition for 2024. Russia buys its weapons from North Korea, Iran, and Belarus. Ukraine depends heavily on its Western
allies for support. The total death count is 120,000+ the total injured troops count is 170,000-180,000. The Russian numbers are 70,000+ deaths and 100,000-120,000 injured. Let us hope the numbers do not increase for either side.

Joe Biden has also stated, “Tonight, Jill and I are praying for the brave and proud people of Ukraine.” (Biden, Joseph “Statement by President Biden on Russia’s Unprovoked and Unjustified Attack on Ukraine” FEBRUARY 23, 2022).

This image is the American flag shows that even through these wars, attacks, and invasions. America remains a great Nation hoping for peace around the world.