Ranger Football : the Journey to CIF

Jakob Torrealba

Despite winning their first CIF game in over for years, The Santa Rosa Rangers lost to Artesia Pioneers last Friday 12-21. The Rangers carried out an impressive season featuring 7 wins and 5 losses. Jack Warren put up a season total of 531 receiving 268 defensive yards, and 7 touchdowns. “Marlowe is one of the main reasons I have these yards,” Jack Warren said “ And my o-line, they get no praise.” Among other things, Warren managed to collect 4 interceptions through the season.

Their last game was hosted at home—a sad loss for the seniors. After the game, the athletes collected together for final talks and hugs. Each of the coaches shared their goodbyes to the seniors. Some coaches were tearing up about departing with the current seniors. The coaches then gave each of the seniors a moment to say something in front of the rest of the team. Each gave a heartfelt speech dedicated to their teammates and some gave one to their coaches. “This is my most prized possession,” Austin Craven says “I want you to have this cross as a thank you”

These athletes Managed to take the team to CIF for the first time in over 5 years. “We came here as freshman” Eli Aguilar said “ and we finally made it to playoffs” Each athlete was grateful for the memories despite the loss. Last year, the Rangers lost to the Marantha MinuteMen in the first round of CIF. This year was a memorable one for all athletes and spectators. “The seniors gave it their all this season.” trinity Horak said “The fact they won the first round of CIF was something special to remember.”

This last game was a battle of yards. Both teams put up great defense limiting the offense from much gain. Unfortunately, the Pioneers were able to convert more plays into touchdowns allowing them to move forward in playoffs. This year juniors have a full year of planning and preparation for next year.

Despite a loss on their own turf, the Rangers managed to have a successful season.