Trunk or Treat Candy Shortage.

Kathy Clelland-Hillyer Parent of Madeleine Hillyer
Bentley Jenkins and two SRA students dressed up for this year’s annual Trunk or Treat.

Trunks or Treats have been all the rage since COVID-19. Each year, more communities are participating in a group gathering where individuals pass out candy from the trunk of their car. In the past two years, a surplus of schools have hosted their own Trunk or Treats to get more student participation in events. However, candy seems to be the most limited supply at the trunk of treats.

This year, Santa Rosa Academy hosted their second annual Trunk or Treat. However, disaster stuck when there were no sweets to be found.

“The person next to us told kids to come get candy from our trunk because they ran out of candy,” Alina Abbott, senior, said “We ran out of candy 15 minutes later.”

The solution to running low on candy was sending kids to other trunks. The Trunk or Treat turned into a candy hostage takeover: “I spent fifty dollars on candy,” Trinity Horak, senior, said. “Everything was gone shortly into the Trunk or Treat.” This prompted the trunk owners to get candy from neighboring cars to pass out candy.

Next year’s event will have more candy to make sure that each student gets to fill their baskets. Stores are having to stock up on extra candy to prepare for this year’s Halloween. With more children out and about on the streets, each house has to get more candy than the year before.

The sugar shortage earlier in the month of October could have had an affect the amount of candy being put on shelves this Halloween. “This has been a very tough year for global sugar. If you look at the top ten producing countries this year, six of them have had extreme weather,” Chief Meteorologist at Everstream Analytics, John Davis, told FOX Weather. “And the ramification of that is higher prices for anything that you use sugar for, including candy.” Less candy and higher prices affect how families will be handing out those sugary treats.

“I bought the cheap candy this year and it still cost me fifty dollars,” Horak said, “all for it to run out in 30 minutes”. Students and parents don’t agree with the inflated prices of candy this year.

The question still remains: Is the candy shortage under control?