America’s Answer to Ferrari: How the C8 Corvette Impacted a Nation

The C8 Corvette was a radical change from previous body styles.
Pexels

The corvette: this Chevrolet sports car has undoubtedly been a staple of American auto-culture since its release in 1953. From the sleek, vintage lines of the first generation C1 to the aggressive body work and monstrous power of the newer C7, this model has stood the test of time against a cut-throat market. But with the release of the brand new C8 Corvette, a wave of mixed emotions tumbles in the hearts of enthusiasts old and young.

The C8 Corvette took a drastic turn from the evolving silhouette of previous generations. With stunning bodylines and it’s unique mid-engine layout, which provides more balance and stability to the vehicle, the C8 was an immediate challenge to the Italian sports cars many only ever dream of driving. And with a comparably low price tag, the vehicle was a reality that even the average citizen could reach.

“The new generation Corvette looks stunning, sounds incredible, and drives so smoothly. It’s a Ferarri for half the price,“ describes car enthusiast and Santa Rosa senior Nate Brown. “It utilizes a v8 engine just like the rest of the corvettes have used in the past only this time it’s in a mid-engine layout similar to that of a high-dollar exotic. The interior also has a beautiful layout with leather and suede everywhere with a nice center stack of buttons so you know where everything is.”

The exotic looks of this impressive piece of engineering have captured the hearts of many. Not everyone is pleased, however, with the stark difference of the new design. As always in a community filled with passionate individuals, there are a number of dissenting opinions about the C8 Corvette.

“[It’s a] wannabe hyper car. The only good thing about them is they have one of the best naturally aspirated V8 engines,” begins Caleb Hylkema, a senior at Santa Rosa Academy. “[The] C6 is the best gen, and c7 is also insanely good. [The] C8 was kinda sad when it came out.”

Clashing views are a common appearance in the car community, but the C8 leaves many different auto enthusiasts in a bipartisan struggle: does the new layout and bold design of the car have, or even deserve, a place in the Corvette’s history? With such a diverse market, and an innumerous collection of various styles, tastes, and views on the subject, we may never firmly decide.

One thing is certain, however: the C8 Corvette has marked it’s place in the American automotive scene, and it is here to stay.