The journey of the Ball brothers

Lonzo Ball working on his jump shot with the Los Angeles Lakers. He is preparing for a game so he could play his best.

Lavar Ball was born on October 23, 1967, in Los Angeles, California. He got married to Tina Ball in 1997. Their first child, Lonzo Ball was born on October 27, 1997, their second child, Liangelo Ball was born on November 24, 1998, and their third child, LaMelo Ball was born on August 22nd, 2001. LaVar enforced basketball on all of the ball brothers right when they started walking. LaVar stands at six feet- five inches while his wife, Tina stands at six-foot-one inches.

In 2016, LaMelo, LiAngelo, and Lonzo all played for the Chino Hills High School varsity basketball team, this would lead Chino Hills to a perfect 35-0 record winning the CIF championship. Chinos Hills 2016 is regarded as the greatest high-school team of all time. Stats show that LiAngelo Ball was the number two all-time scoring leader in the nation in 2016. At the time Lonzo was a senior, LiAngelo was a junior, and LaMelo was a freshman.

LaMelo Ball passes the ball to his teammate in the corner. He was playing overseas with the drew league.

Lonzo would go on to play for UCLA averaging 14.6 points, six rebounds, and a nation-leading 7.6 assists per game. LiAngelo Ball went to the University of California in Los Angeles, averaging 33.8 points per game. LaMelo did not go to college, as he played overseas in Lithuania and Australia. Lonzo was the first Ball brother to make it to the NBA as he was picked by the Lakers in the first round, and second pick in 2017. Lonzo was traded to the Pelicans in 2019, then he was traded to the Bulls in 2021 and is still there to this day. Unfortunately, LiAngelo has not made it to the official NBA league, as he is in the NBA G League (minor NBA teams). LiAngelo Ball is currently playing for the Greensboro Swarm. LaMelo Ball was the round one, third pick in the 2020 NBA draft by the Charlotte Hornets and still plays there today.

“I think that their dad was a big effect on them and that he pushed them to the limits and be the best they could be, their also handsome,” said Devan Sams, a player for the SRA varsity basketball team.