SRA girls JV basketball team prepares for the season

Keely Mares
SRA JV girls basketball team after practice. “You shouldn’t underestimate us.” -Evangeline

The SRA girls basketball team is practicing hard for the season. The team is pretty competitive and work together well. The environment and relationship between the players is great. Players talk will amongst themselves before practice and everyone on the team is familiar with one another. During practices the team will push each other to do better no matter what. If a teammate misses a shot the team will celebrate and cheer on their team. During games the team will cheer no matter what.

“We cheer each other on and will point out errors” Evangeline Aitchison said.

According to a member of the team Evangeline the whole team push each other. They help push each other improve their skills by giving them feedback and tips on how to make a shot or basket better.The team will make it a game while practicing to help support their team. Our SRA basketball team works together to turn a negative into a positive. In sports there are always mistakes because we all know no one is perfect. The team sees a mistake or loss as a learning opportunity and use them to improve their skills together as a team.

Aitchison said, “The mind is more important than what happens, a better mindset will help you succeed.”

There are going to be some problems no matter what and one problem the team is having so far is ball handling. This mistake pushes the team do to better and work hard. Everyday the team is working on getting better at handling the ball in order to succeed when the season comes. Communication is also something that is taken into consideration for this team.

“The more communication you have in any sport better helps your team” said Aitchison.

Communication is very important in sports and our SRA team uses this to improve their game. The team will communicate if they notice something about a player on the opposing team. For example if the teams defense sees a cutter they are going to yell cutter so the whole team can get a better idea of whats going on. Communication really is key on the court it can help the team make shots and play better defense.

“When playing the JV team you should watch out for all of us, you shouldn’t underestimate us” said Aitchison.