Brighton Bigelow’s experience as a hip-hop and lyrical dancer

Brighton Bigelow and her fellow teammate Shaylin Pawlowski at Dianas Dance Company. This was moments before they were soon expected to perform on stage.
Shaylin Pawlowski
Brighton Bigelow and her fellow teammate Shaylin Pawlowski at Diana’s Dance Company. This was moments before they were soon expected to perform on stage.

Hip-hop and lyrical dancing are two of the most popular dances in the world. Being a hip-hop and lyrical dancer could be a fun activity, or it could be boring. Brighton Bigelow is friendly, open-minded, and energetic. She is a passionate dancer who is excited to see where her career will lead her in the future. She learned all of her dancing skills from Diana’s Dance Company which is located in Menifee, California. Brighton Bigelow has been attending this company for six out of the twenty five years it has been open.

Brighton Bigelow’s inspiration was sparked by Angela Isadora Duncan. Isadora Duncan was an American dancer and choreographer who lived in Western Europe. She helped release dancing from its restrictions to allow a future for other dancers.

“In sixth grade, I remember having to write an essay about a famous person. I did some research on famous dancers and stumbled across Isadora Duncan. Ever since she has been my inspiration to pursue my dreams” Bigelow said.

When it comes to preferred dance moves, Brighton Bigelow’s favorite dance moves consist of the arabesque and the ecarte. The arabesque is a dance movement in which the dancer’s leg is backwards in the air while the other one is supporting the dancer’s weight. The ecarte incorporates one leg extended on the floor or in the air while your hands are in the air in a diagonal position. These are her favorite dance moves because these were a few of the first moves she was able to perform.

Brighton is a firm believer that dancing can teach a person so many valuable lessons. Because of this, she has been educated about teamwork, accountability, self-expression, and creativity.

“After many years and years of dancing I have finally learned that it has taught me so much more than just to move my body. When I dance, my body feels so free. I feel as if I am able to express myself in a way that words never could. That itself is a very cherishable lesson that dancing has to offer. Express yourself however you want to because in my opinion, that’s what dancing is all about” Bigelow states.

Teamwork is a very essential part of the dance experience. It can improve efficiency and productivity. Brighton Bigelow is an amazing teammate because she consistently provides a positive work environment. She explains, “When you dance with your team you can allow space for trust and reliability to create a good dance. It’s really amazing how each dancer uses their own unique talents together to create something worth seeing.” Furthermore, “you can achieve so much more together when everyone supports each other.”

What makes Brighton Bigelow a unique dancer is her hard-working skills. She practices three hours a day five days of the week at Diana’s Dance Company. This totals to fifteen hours out of the entire week. When she arrives home after practice, she continues to practice more of her skills in her free-time. Even on the weekends Brighton Bigelow strives to improve her dancing skills. This will contribute to her success because her determination will allow her to have a good reputation for the future.

Brighton Bigelow explains, “Practice, practice, practice. That’s all I tell myself because if I want to succeed then I need to show it, and I know this will do me good in the future.”

Dancing can teach you more than just incredible dance moves. It can also teach you to never give up on dreams. You have the power to make your dreams come true, so you should always take action and achieve them.

According to Brighton Bigelow, “When I was in elementary school, I remember always wanting to become a dancer. At recess I would take sticks and leaves as an attempt to make a makeshift hat. I would do twirls and always lose my balance but that didn’t stop me from chasing my dreams. When I was eight years old, my journey at Diana’s Dance Company began. I was probably the worst dancer in the room, but I always strived to do my best.” This is a prime example of how determination allows you to persevere and work towards your goals.

Ultimately, Brighton Bigelow is a determined hard worker who always endeavored her dreams. As specified by Brighton, “I know that dancing will always be an important aspect of my life and it has impacted my life in ways that I could never imagine.”