SRA’s 19th annual birthday

Santa Rosa Academy will celebrate its 19th birthday this Friday, April 18th. SRA was originally founded by Laura Badillo, Teri Heron, Tina Shannon, Mrs. McMullen, and Julia Miller. They founded the school in a garage with only 59 school students and seven staff members.

The founders worked in the garage while their offices were being built and, eventually, the school opened to 1500 students and 100 staff members. The new classrooms were over 20,000 square feet located at Mount San Jacinto Community College in Menifee, CA.

Nineteen years after the start of Santa Rosa Academy, the high school quad is a symbol of the growth the school has taken on.

While at the MSJC campus, the founders were working to raise enough money to build the campus we know today on La Piedra Road. The founders worked hard because of their belief in the school community and what it stands for.

“Santa Rosa Academy has been my educational anchor for 13 years, as both a dedicated parent and board member. It embodies excellence, community, and unwavering dedication to student success, making it not just a school, but a cherished part of my life,” said Kellie Welty, SRA board member.

Santa Rosa Academy is built around three character traits: excellence, integrity, and respect. Many say the character traits and the character periods built into student schedules create students who carry themselves with pride and compassion for others.

The SRA plaza where elementary students eat their lunches every day. It is also where some dances are held. (Ethan Dulaney)

“Our mission & vision is to create a school that is highly regarded for
 academic excellence within a flexible and innovative learning environment that will effectively develop, sustain, and enhance the skills necessary to be
 lifelong learners and productive citizens,” said Welty.

Brooke Snell, SRA board member said, “SRA to me means an alternative to traditional education in an environment where academics are important, but where character is paramount. The school has created a family atmosphere that encourages a healthy balance of life skills alongside a top-notch education.”

The SRA staff make their best effort to make the school a better environment, and that includes the principals and board members who work all day to provide the best education possible. According to the SRA website, Santa Rosa won one of the “2024 Best Schools in Riverside County” for college prep, academics, teachers, and diversity.

The SRA library hosts Mr. Lorche’s business class upstairs, the tech department, and red track rooms. (Ethan Dulaney)

David Foust, SRA board member said “SRA is one of the highest academic achieving charter schools in Riverside County. I strongly believe in the school’s principles of Integrity, Excellence, and Respect… I am proud to be a Ranger!”

In previous years, Santa Rosa Academy has celebrated its milestones by providing cake for the students and staff and putting posters over the school to celebrate. This year, the SRA leadership team has arranged a Ranger Rally for the whole school with a dress code of “Dress Like a Ranger”. Later in the day, the SRA birthday bash and Art Faire display will take place on the blacktop from 4:30-7:00PM. The bash will feature a rock wall, two jumpers, a petting zoo, zorbs, complimentary popcorn, and much more. Wristbands for the event are $15 and include all activities, games and popcorn and can be purchased HERE – food and drinks are available for purchase separately.