Inside the Mind of Serial Killers

There was always a burning question in my mind, why do serial killers do what they do? There are many different reasons for their actions and I don’t think evil is always the right way to describe them.

Serial killers suffer from many different disorders which could factor in their killings. Fbi.gov states “As a group, serial killers suffer from a variety of personality disorders, including psychopathy, anti-social personality, and others. Most, however, are not adjudicated as insane under the law.” For example, Jeffery Dahmer was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD), Schizophrenia Personality Disorder (StPD), and psychotic disorder which caused him to hallucinate and disassociate from the world.

Black and white picture of young Jeffery Dahmer (Flicks )

In an interview, Dahmer said, “Killing wasn’t the objective. I just wanted to have the person under my complete control to do with as I wanted.” This is very fascinating for a person who has killed many but was more interested in controlling them rather than killing them.

He had also said that he was fascinated with the insides of animals and overtime it began with humans. There are many different motives and Dahmers was just one of many. Samuel Little, America’s number one serial killer, killed about 95 people. Little believed that God called him to kill his victims to put them out of their misery. “I say if I can help get somebody out of jail, you know, then God might smile a little bit more on me,” said Little. If that’s not disturbing enough, he also drew pictures of his victims to traumatize their families. It’s not just their strange motives that get you thinking but it’s also their profession tied to their murders.

Drawings of the women Samuel Little killed. (Skye Sanchez)

Harold Shipman, also given the name, Dr. Death killed over 200 of his patients at Donneybrook medical center. I find it scary that a trusted doctor was hiding this gruesome secret. Despite these disorders, did they ever regret it? Back to Dahmer, in an interview he said “I always knew it was wrong after the first killing,” He also said, “It was almost addictive – a surge of energy. I wouldn’t have to worry about any of their needs or anything. I just had complete control of the situation.” Although for Little, he had no remorse for his actions. When getting interviewed by a detective, he said, “When God made me, he knew what I would do,” and that shows he believed he was made for killing and what he was doing was good. Usually, the case is that they don’t care whether it is good or bad but simply enjoy the pleasure of it.

In some cases like Ted Bundy, before his execution he had given his life to Christ and asked for forgiveness publicly. In conclusion, the mind of a serial killer is filled with mental problems, twisted morals, and a hardened heart.