The Hidden Costs of Higher Education

Araia Worthington
Infographic to show the costs of colleges and percentages of students that are affected differently by the price.

As college tuition rises, students find themselves in the challenging position of having to bear enormous financial expenses that are not only the ones of their tuition. In contrast to these expenses, the cost of books stands out as a frankly important expenditure, which basically contributes hundreds or even thousands of dollars to the budget of the students who are already living in the financial red.
The concern over the rising prices of textbooks in college has been going on for a while, but there are new insights that showcase a disturbing increase over time. This is manifested as students not only pay for new textbooks but also need to manage complex digital access codes and subscriptions which leads to more financial challenges for students that don’t have enough money. In the landscape of higher education, the issue of high cost of textbooks has become a pressing challenge, with students often having an impact on the quality of their study materials rather than the textbooks.
“Market monopoly has been created by publishers who have exerted too much leverage and now students are forced to pay inflated prices for textbooks. This is an issue that needs to be dealt with and reforms to be made immediately on this,” declares John Smith, a student activist who is calling for textbooks to be affordable.
Besides, there is a problem with the electronic textbooks and digital codes of access that students face a new challenge with unexpected costs and restrictions.
“The appearance of digital access codes may seem popular, but they are able to lock students into expensive subscriptions and limit their ability to sell or share their possessions. College costs only go up and fewer of them will have these materials.” Emily Chen, a college affordability researcher said.
With the college textbook expenses becoming extremely large that reaching the budgets of students, the new grassroots initiatives and legislative projects are more and more considered and in some cases already started being put to practice.
“Beginning from the textbook rental program up to the adoption of the open educational resources, innovations are emerging, which has an idea of making the course materials more affordable and accessible to students. That is the first step to do but a lot of things should been done,” remarked Laura Martinez, who is a supporter of the textbook affordability.
The student’s financial situation in college faces a critical challenge posed by the escalating prices of textbooks which further jeopardizes their education access. This unforeseeable element of education puts the burden on the student. The voice concerning textbook affordability gains speed, the stakeholders in the discussion must pursue solutions that give students equitable access to the textbooks that they must excel in different kinds of learning.
The textbook cost problem has become a significant barrier to anyone who wants to access higher education. It is no longer limited to the collection of textbooks; rather it is the need to create an environment that promotes equity in the access of educational resources by all students as Dr. Rachel Garcia advances.
Furthermore, lack of caution and secrecy in the textbook pricing process and the degree of publishing monopolies’ persistence bring about the remarkable cost that students have to pay for.