Why Pandas Are Going Extinct

What would you do if your favorite animal was about to go extinct? The Great Giant Pandas are currently facing this. They are rapidly losing their homes and natural habitats. There are only about 1,864 remaining pandas, according to the World Wildlife Fund (WWF.) Pandas are endangered and have been since the 1970s.

Panda resting in its natural habitat

One of the main reasons for this loss of habitat is the increase in the building of dams, roads, and railways. There are very few places in the world where pandas can safely live. This is due to the panda’s diet composed mainly of bamboo. Additionally, as the effects of climate change increase, the habitat for the pandas is slowly shrinking. Climate change is causing the bamboo to disappear. Giant pandas are losing their territory as the heat is causing everything to disappear. Poachers are also another reason why pandas are going extinct.

The Chinese government made more than 50 preserves specifically for pandas. Only about 67% of the current panda population lives in those reserves, with about 54% of that habitat protected.

Giant Panda (Ailuropoda melanoleuca) in a tree. Wolong Panda Reserve, Sichuan Province, China.

The possible extinction of pandas has caused many scientists to try and save them. Many veterinarians are finding ways to make pandas repopulate. The breeding process was a struggle at first.

“Veterinary science has done an outstanding job,” said Marc Brody. Brody is a scientist who has helped pandas repopulate for over two decades.

This method of having pandas breed to have more offspring will help the population massively. Research shows that pandas in a habitat have a higher chance of repopulation. It is a struggle to repopulate in non-protective habitats. Washington and Beijing have been fighting over who gets the pandas for years.

“Pandas are sweet and calm. They are a favorite animal of many people. All these people would be sad to see that Pandas aren’t in their local zoo,” says Abigail Nunez in a caring tone, showing how she cares for the pandas.

One of the many reasons zoos don’t have pandas is they don’t think that the animal will survive in a habitat. Many of these habitats do not resemble their original environment. The Chinese government and Washington fight over trade rights.

“I hope they don’t. Pandas don’t belong in a zoo,” says Bella Burns in a caring yet aggressive tone.

Panda at the San Diego Zoo

One of the ways to help these pandas is to donate to a charity that helps endangered animals. These charities are trying to help the animals through repopulation efforts.

“Pandas are adorable. They’re my favorite animals. They need to return to the zoo,”says 9th-grade English teacher Dr. Jackson.

Now that pandas have a chance of survival, what will you do to help them come back even stronger?

View Comments (1)