Barbie Snubbed at the 96th Academy Awards

Image from Barbie movie promotions
Barbie
Image from Barbie movie promotions

Many people joke that they missed the entire plot of the movie.

For those who haven’t seen “Barbie”, it is about the most iconic Barbie, played by actress Margot Robbie, who experiences an exponential crisis and must travel to the human world to discover her true purpose. The movie sets the stage for women’s empowerment and the expectations placed on women.

Image from Barbie movie promotions (Barbie Movie)

The film, directed by Greta Gerwig, was predicted to be a competition against “Oppenheimer” for some of the biggest awards at this year’s Oscars. However, on January 23, 2024, the Academy Awards announced the 2024 Oscar Nominations. “Oppenheimer” was nominated for 13 awards, including Best Actor and Best Director while “Barbie” was nominated for eight categories including Best Supporting Actor. That being said, the nominations have irked fans the wrong way.

Ryan Gosling, who played Ken in the movie, was nominated for Best Supporting Actor. Margot Robbie, who played Barbie, received zero nominations. Greta Gerwig, the director of the movie, also received zero nominations.

Greta Gerwig, the director of Barbie, at a press event (Carrie Dorean)

Many fans have taken to social media to share their opinion on the matter.

SRA employee, Georgina Cante, says, “I loved the movie, but I think Ryan Gosling had a more natural feel when playing Ken versus Margot Robbie, it kinda felt forced.”

SRA student, Kadence Bernard, said, “I honestly thought Margot did a really good job. I’m kinda bummed she didn’t get nominated.”

The “Barbie” movie gained the title of the biggest box office opening from a female director in history when the film collected $155 million. Gerwig became the first female director to reach the milestone when the box office reached $1 Billion.

Despite not being nominated for individual awards, “Barbie” was nominated for Best Picture of the Year. With only eight nominations, “Barbie” fans are hoping the movie gets the Academy recognition it deserves.

View Comments (1)