The 2024 Solar Eclipses

Solar eclipses are when the moon passes over the sun, creating a shadow with a ring of fire around the moon. These eclipses don’t happen too often. They happen about 2 to 4 times a year. Many people have heard of them and wanted to see them, “I’ve never seen a solar eclipse but I really want to, I just don’t know how to see them without hurting my eyes and dying,” said Che Marroquin.

While these may seem safe and fun to view, eclipses can harm your eyes. Although the moon is blocking the sun, there are bright sections. These sections are barely visible and can hurt your eyes or even make you blind. However, there are special glasses that can make it safe to view solar eclipses that you can get from Amazon.

If you plan to view a solar eclipse, you can do so from many websites, but the most credible source would be NASA’s website. On April 8th, 2024, A partial solar eclipse will be able to be seen from southern California at 10:03 a.m. Pacific Time.

A picture indicating the 3 types of solar eclipses. –calendarr.com

There are three main types of solar eclipses. The first is the Penumbral Lunar Eclipse, the second is the Partial Solar Eclipse, and the third type is the Total Solar Eclipse. According to timeanddate.com, a Penumbral Lunar Eclipse is when the Earth casts a shadow on the moon’s surface. A Partial Lunar Eclipse is when The moon partially obscures the sun. A Total Solar Eclipse is when the moon completely blocks the sun. This type is the most widely known eclipse.

You can use timeanddate.com to find all of this information and the schedule of solar and lunar eclipses in your city.

Solar Eclipses have happened since the beginning of the solar system, so ancient humans believed they were signs of their gods. “I’d think the world was ending,” said Ms. Cairns, and “I would think Rah the Sun God was coming to destroy us all,” said Che. These wouldn’t be too inaccurate as the ancient Inca believed it to be a sign of God’s wrath and displeasure, The Norse Vikings believed it was a sign that wolves had caught their prey, and the Aztecs believed the demons of darkness would consume the solar system and that the world would come to an end.

A Partial Solar Eclipse was seen in Arlington, Virginia on June 10th, 2021.

Solar Eclipses are a thing of beauty. They don’t happen very often, so make sure that when you get the chance to see one, you do because it is a surreal experience.