Two planes collided within a span of two weeks at airports in Japan

On January 16th at 5:30 A.M. local time at New Chitose Airport in Japan, two planes collided. A Korean Airlines plane came in contact with a Cathay Pacific Airways aircraft. On Hokkaido, a northern island in Japan.

The International New Chitose Airport Interior

The Korean airplane contained 276 passengers and 13 crew aboard during the accident between the two planes. The airplane clipped the Cathay Pacific airplane while parked at one of the gates. The Cathay Pacific aircraft had no passengers aboard during the time of the accident.

Photo By: MIKI Yoshihito
The New Chitose Airport terminal is taken from a point of view from the window of an aircraft.

In Northern Japan, weather reports indicated that there was poor visibility in the area due to very heavy snowfall with some areas reaching 24 degrees. During the time of the incident, many flights at the airport had been canceled due to this incident. They were further delayed by the collision causing a big disruption in the airport.

This accident comes right after a Japanese Airline jet collided and burst into flames on a runway at Tokyo’s Haneda Airport two weeks ago.

On January 2nd at 6:00 PM a JAL airliner came in contact with a quake aid plane at Tokyo’s Haneda Airport. All 379 passengers aboard the Japanese Airlines plane escaped the burning airliner after a collision with a Coast Guard aircraft. The collision killed 5 of the 6 crew members aboard the Coast Guard aircraft that Tuesday.

All the passengers on the bigger aircraft were evacuated due to the professionalism of the cabin crew. Fourteen passengers were injured but none of the injuries were life-threatening.

The fires of the collisions of the plane weren’t put out until midnight. Both attacks were very horrible accidents that most likely could have been prevented. Let us hope no accidents like these happen in the future. It’s a good thing these ones didn’t turn out to end with more lives being taken.