[OPINION] Relationships in High School Boost a Person’s Character

Having romance in high school is something that feels like fiction, but isn’t. Its an experience that gives such a rush and makes people feel like their living in a fairy tale. Sometimes those fairy tale endings work out, and sometimes they don’t. The important thing is that love is a good thing to experience no matter what happens. If they succeed, then the people in it get a partner that works for them. If they fail, then the people in it can learn, heal, and go again with someone else.

Love as a teenager helps people be more empathetic. When you have love for someone other than yourself, you feel more empathetic towards them. Making someone feel loved is an amazing thing to do for someone as it helps with how they feel toward themselves as well as to you.

“I feel very safe with him… its very nice to be able to talk with someone and be around someone who makes you feel comfortable whether you feel super talkative or not very talkative. I feel like I can bring up anything to him without being judged or misunderstood.” says “Wendy Kennedy”, a girl who wishes to remain anonymous, but agreed to talk about her boyfriend.

A special present (see picture) was given to Wendy Kennedy by her boyfriend. Photo taken on her bed.
“When we [Wendy and her Boyfriend] first met in person back in May, he bought it for me as a gift. Always been with me since that day.”

The relationship Kennedy is in is something that works for her. Kennedy’s boyfriend makes her feel comfortable in their relationship. Being comfortable with each other is a vital part of their relationship.

As well as empathy, love as a teenager also helps people become more attuned to themselves and who they are as a person. When someone is loved by another, it is a validation to who they are. Love is a validation to someones identity.

“Emily is special because she is very kind and has a big heart.” – Will Schoch’s feelings regarding dating Emily Detmer.

Emily Detmer and Will Schoch at Santa Rosa Academy Homecoming Dance 2022 inside the SRA gym.
“We won Homecoming Prince and Princess and we enjoyed that. All of our friends were there and it was really fun!” – Emily Detmer

The relationship between Emily and Will is something that works because of their foundation of honesty. They are genuine with each other and that is part of what makes them a great pair.

Even though someone’s relationship could fail a failed relationship is equally as beautiful as that of successful one, because they both shared love and even if it was for a moment or a bit that love was there. We are just kids and the kids make mistakes and that’s okay, because we learn from them

When it comes to romance in the 21 century, there is plenty that can go wrong. People can get into a relationship when they aren’t ready, they can pick a person that isn’t right for them, or they can have differing values and things that their partner isn’t looking for, causing the relationship to fall apart. So many bad things happen nowadays. However, I believe that even though these bad things happen, it is still important to try to make connections with others. It is important to have these experiences as we can become better from them. Make those mistakes and have fun, because in the end, life is too short to waste your time. If it works out, then you have someone who you know is right for you and thats beautiful. If the relationship does crash and burn however, then you can learn from it. Romance is a gamble, you never know what might happen, but it’s still an important part of who we are as humans.