Quantum Computers: Turning Limits Into Possibilities

Quantum Computers are a specialized type of computer that is built specifically to decipher complex physics and mathematics in the context of Quantum Mechanics. Scientists want to use the Quantum Computer to solve the mysteries of the microscopic world around us.

Quantum Computers can solve multifaceted, complex problems with the use of a technology called Superposition. Superposition is the state of being able to perform multiple actions at the same time, something that no other piece of tech has managed to accomplish. Instead of acting like a regular computer that can fluctuate between processes, Quantum Computers are made to complete multiple layered actions using a different kind of hardware called Quibits. In this way, Quantum Computers are made to be able to handle Superposition. They are literally built different than any previous computer and are made to handle different processes.

This ability to compute super position is what makes the quantum computer so special. However, there are limitations to this technology. For one, quantum computers need to be kept in specific conditions to work. Since the tech used in quantum computers generate so much energy, the computer must be submerged in a chamber full of temperatures colder than space to keep everything from melting. Its not very practical to do that every time a calculation is needed. As well as this, quantum computers have little to no error correction ability since they don’t use the same processing unit that regular computers do. The tech simply hasn’t been invented yet.

Though the tech still hasn’t been seen yet, that doesn’t mean that the possibilities of the quantum computer are unavailable. The quantum computer has already done many incredible things that scientists have barely had the capacity to dream up. Currently, data is being processed into finding new chemical sequences that could potentially cure diseases.

“I think I’m excited for it, but it depends on what it turns out to be in the end. So it’s kinda like the internet when it was first coming out, like no one really knew how its going to be used and which ways its going to be implemented. Its just a giant leap in terms of information sharing and processing” – Mr. Paez, Chemistry Teacher at SRA

“And its good to have a vary narrow purpose for something before you can try and ask it to do more things, kinda like AI. How long ago was it that AI was just learning how to play chess… Technology always has a ground point. Theres always a starting point and if you try to make it do too many things at one time, your not going to get the results you want right off the bat. Start with the basics.” – Mr. Gonzalez, Physics Teacher at SRA

Though practical quantum computing tech seems to be a faraway dream for the time being, so was the electricity during it’s early stages. Hopefully we can understand this new technology better and get it to do some incredible things.