Fighting an invisible battle

How do you live with an invisible battle, and can you overcome it? Noah Sanchez is the perfect answer to this question. As Sanchez and I sit together at a restaurant, I look at all the delicious foods I can choose from. But, for Sanchez, he doesn’t have that luxury. While I was deciding what to eat, he asked the waiter if there were any peanuts or tree nuts in their restaurant and if they would cross-contaminate with his food. 90% of the time, the answer is yes and we have to go to a different restaurant.

Sanchez was five years old when he developed a peanut allergy. A few years later, he became allergic to all tree nuts and developed food-dependent exercise-induced anaphylaxis (FDEIA). In 6th grade, Sanchez was running on the school track after eating lunch and passed out. I will forever remember sitting in the cafeteria and hearing my name get called over the sirens of an ambulance. Sanchez went into the hospital after going into anaphylactic shock. I thought I was going to lose my brother. My mother, Nicole Sanchez, also thought that was the last time we would see him.

“Getting the call was my worst nightmare. I had to tell them to call 911 and drive to the school, preparing myself to lose my son,” said Nicole Sanchez.

Sanchez’s allergies don’t just affect him, but the whole family. It can be hard knowing that I can’t eat in certain places when I’m with my brother or eat certain foods in the house. Sanchez has been in musicals, taking acting, and singing classes at NPAC even with the battle he faces.

Everyone he works with cannot eat snacks with nuts around him and at cast parties, he has to bring his own food. He also has to eat two hours before breaking a sweat unless he will go into anaphylaxis. In 2020, he had six anaphylactic episodes and had to go to the ER each time. He has had to use his EpiPen more than 12 times in his life and each time me and my whole family thought we were going to lose him but he has made miraculous recoveries each time. I wouldn’t know what I would do if I lost him and I know he lives in constant fear of dying.

Sanchez went into the hospital after going into anaphylactic shock.

“What is your thought process when going through or preventing anaphylactic shock?” I asked.

When asked what goes through his mind when going through anaphylactic shock, Sanchez said, “Well, it’s more of a process of distinguishing whether or not I’m having an allergic reaction. First I pray and calm myself down as much as possible. I slow my breathing to focus on if I’m sick to my stomach because I’m scared or if I’m having an allergic reaction.”

Sanchez has been pushing through the constant possibility of death. He is a trooper and knows what to do in these situations. Sanchez has been improving with his invisible battle. He has been taking an allergy shot called “Xolair” once a month. “Xolair” is a shot that reduces the substances in your body that cause allergic reactions. Sanchez is very allergic to cats but thanks to “Xolair”, he has been able to live in a house with two kittens and he has no problem with them. “Xolair” has saved his life and allowed him to do more stuff despite his allergies.

This is Sanchez now. Thriving and living his best life.

Sanchez has a very inspiring story and has improved in his invisible battle. You are always strong enough to overcome your troubles. I hope this story of Noah Sanchez inspires you to continue battling through.