Wellness Center At Santa Rosa Academy

Leilani Dowding
The moment I heard about this project I immediately knew what I wanted to do and knew I wanted to put my time into something I genuinely care so much about. The Wellness Center. If you are interested in this project and potentially donating feel free to take a look at this flyer.

Talking about mental health is the first step to making a difference. The next step, and arguably the most important step is placing down the stepping stones for change. This semester I have focused on writing about something I am extremely passionate about. Mental health. Growing up I struggled with my mental health immensely and now, as a Senior in high school and as an individual expanding into adulthood, I am a major advocate for mental health.

Here at Santa Rosa, in my last year of high school and first year of attending here, I want to set those stepping stones in place and do what I can to create a resource for all students K-12. Every senior here at Santa Rosa Academy is required to do a community service project for graduation. The moment I heard about this project I immediately knew what I wanted to do and knew I wanted to put my time into something I genuinely care so much about. The Wellness Center.

For those who may not know what a wellness center is, a wellness center is a room focused on providing a resource for student’s well-being and mental health. These spaces prioritize the emotional well-being of students in the school environment.

“Coping with mental health concerns negatively impacts young people’s ability to meet the many demands of school, including cognitive demands for learning; social and emotional demands for making friends and behaving according to school rules, norms, and expectations; and physical demands for being active throughout the school day.”

I believe our school could benefit from a wellness center for so many reasons. Having a room dedicated to the emotional health of Santa Rosa students will hopefully boost students’ performance in school as well as allow them a space to re-center and take breaks. Not having a resource for student’s mental can negatively impact their learning. My goal is to give this outlet to our school so we can all feel supported in attending every day, knowing we have access to this wellness space.

I am so excited to work on this project, and I hope reading this, we all can have something to look forward to, being created in the near future. Donations are highly appreciated. Anything helps! I hope to leave a space behind for students to use and benefit from for years to come.