Transitioning to High School

Kole Ivancic
Kole Ivancic a Freshmen that goes to Santa Rosa Academy showing us his school ID.

The transition from middle school to high school is one that every student must make. However, it is also one of the most challenging transitions of a person’s life.

Kole Ivancic is an average teenage boy who officially became a freshman on August 14th, 2023. While he wasn’t able to attend his eighth-grade promotion due to being sick, his family members are proud of him for how much he has achieved and the long way he has come so far. Ivancic met with SRA Press to discuss how the transition from middle school to high school has been for him so far.

“I mean it’s alright, just more classes but it’s fine.” Ivancic wasn’t concerned about transitioning to high school and was mostly neutral about moving up grades and meeting new people and teachers. He wasn’t bothered about the fact more classes were added to his school schedule.

“I don’t like how the hours are long but oftentimes the days go by quickly.” Ivancic was a little upset that school hours are longer but the days and weeks go by fast and he isn’t that upset about how fast they go. Ivancic has been at Santa Rosa Academy since kindergarten. He always had kept things simple and most of his friends described him as a ‘simple person’.

What do you think about the teachers? “I like how my math teacher assigns the assignments for the week and we take notes in class. This way I can space things out and not have to do everything all at once. [Spanish] class is fun but learning a second language is difficult at times.”

In many schools, a lot of the students either dislike or love their teachers. Ivancic likes some of his teachers. Like his algebra teacher, Ms. Leal whose assignments are not due until Friday. So, Ivancic is able to plan when to do his assignments and is able to turn it in on time. What Ivancic wants to achieve the most is a 3.5 GPA in his freshman year Ivancic said he can achieve it by doing well in his freshmen year and trying to keep track of what he is turning in on time. Spanish class is harder for him because it’s his first time learning Spanish, and it is difficult for him to learn another language but he states his class can be fun and he can enjoy the class.

What would you want to work as when you’re older and how can high school help you through the way?
“I would want to start my own business or something that has marine animals.”

Ivancic wants to set up his own business. Ivancic likes marine animals enough to be able to start his own business. Ivancic is inspired to work with marine animals or anything that deals with marine animals. Marine animals might be a little difficult to deal with especially if he is wanting to bond with them. Ivancic would need to become a marine biologist to even work with marine animals, he would also need to learn how to provide information to people about the animals he’s working with.