SRA Alumni’s Next Step

Leilani Worthington
On Sunday, October 22, Brody Worthington prepares to start his missionary training for his mission in Liberia, Africa. Brody Worthington said, “I have put myself out there to teach others and help them along their journey to come unto Christ, so that they may come to that joyous truth as I have in my own life”.

Brody Worthington is a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, aiming to invite others to come to Christ through the restored gospel. This is achieved through faith in Jesus Christ, repentance, baptism, and the Holy Ghost. He is putting himself out there to teach others and help them along their journey to come unto Christ, so that they may come to that joyous truth as he has in his own life.

“I’m proud of him. He’s doing something that he needs to do for him and there is power in being able to do hard things for personal growth. There is so much strength in vulnerability. I’m sad because he’s my best friend and it’s super difficult to not be able to talk to him every day. But I am so excited to see how much growth he has when he gets back. Brody is one of the most determined people I know, and I know he’ll return with so much honor,” Lily Ensley, Worthington’s girlfriend said.

Ensley is so proud of Worthington and couldn’t be more grateful for the time they’ve had together. She is going to miss him very much and even though it hurts, she is supportive of all the decisions he is making. They have helped each other grow in their lives and in their faith, and Ensley knows he will bring that growth to the people he serves.

He is assigned to serve the country and people of Liberia (located in West Africa) for two years, with his experience officially starting on Monday, October 23. Worthington is set to leave for the MTC (missionary training center) in Provo, Utah, early Wednesday, November 1. He will spend two weeks in training before flying out to Liberia to begin his mission, and should arrive there on November 17th. Worthington will spend two years working with a companion and moving throughout the country of Liberia, aiming to spread God’s light and love to the people he meets there.”

Leilani Worthington, Brody Worthington’s mother and teacher at SRA, said she is excited and proud for her son to go serve the people of Liberia.

“I am excited to see him teach the people there and learn about the gospel and teach others about the gospel. I think he’s gonna do a great job and I think he’s going to grow a lot on his own, not just grow other people but grow himself and i”m excited for that. I think he’s gonna be a great missionary,” Worthington said.

It is hard for parents to watch their kids go off to college straight out of high school, let alone a foreign country for two years. Worthington has his family’s love and support for his mission, despite the heartache and distress they may feel for him.

Worthington believes that his mission has the potential to change his and the people of Liberia’s lives for the better, as long as he focuses his efforts. Leaving behind his family, friends, and girlfriend, it will be a huge adjustment and struggle, but Worthington is confident that through reliance on the Savior and prayer, he can push through. He is excited to experience a new culture and learn about the country while there, aiming to embody the light of Christ and share it with as many of God’s children as possible.

Raegan Brady, 2023-2024 Leadership president and close friends of Worthington, had this to say about Worthington leaving:
Brody Worthington is probably one of the biggest influences in my life. I met Brody in leadership in the 22-23 school year. He was the vice president of our leadership class and we got super close as a result of his friendliness. He was always so kind and positive and never judged me for anything I’ve done or said. Brody and I have had multiple conversations that last hours and he’s helped me through a great deal, especially in the last few months. He is always a light to the people around him and he always knows how to make his friend feel special and cared for. Brody is a very hard worker and I’ve always looked up to that. Even when he struggles he pushes through and toughs it out to the best of his ability with a smile on his face. He is always smiling and always the person to make you laugh when you’re sad. He’ll sit and talk to you until you feel better and have worked up a solution to your problems. Brody is so compassionate, it will always be my favorite thing about him.

Brady is sad to see Worthington go on his mission, as she won’t be able to see him for two years. However, she is also extremely proud of him and knows he will do great things. His passion for his faith and his drive to grow deeper in his faith make him a great missionary. Brady hopes to see him do great things in Africa and will always be rooting for him. Worthington is like an older brother to Brady, and she is proud of the man he has become in the short time she’s known him.

Worthington has been such a positive light on everyone he knows. He is inspiring, energetic, happy, and reliable. His family, friends, and even coworkers look up to him, knowing that he will always be there when you need him and that he will remain optimistic for him and others in his life. He is so full of love and positivity that he is hoping to bring to the people of Liberia.