Artificial intelligence in today’s world

Romain Vignes

Artificial Intelligence (AI) is quickly becoming a very important and accessible thing, and countries are racing to develop the best AI before their enemies gain the upper hand. The main reason for the development of AI is for countries’ military superiority against others.

AI can be used in many ways to support armies. In fact, the U.S. is working towards developing AI vehicles and drones that can be used to perform dangerous tactics that humans can’t do.

The U.S. is also teaming up with Australia to develop an AI unmanned submarine that can perform impossible maneuvers and missions. The countries are also developing unmanned AI jets that can do whatever the military wants.

Countries around the world are racing to develop AI jets, boats, submarines, cars, and even soldiers. But there are also many concerns with the development of AI. For example, their ability to do things without human input may be impressive, but it can also pose serious risks . . . What if it has access to nuclear bombs?

Some experts say that there is a 42% chance of AI taking over the world but aside from these risks, more professionals insist that AI will never ‘outsmart’ or overtake humans due to their limited capabilities.

Che Marroquin, Sophomore, says, “Yes, I think AI is going to take over the world because jobs like being a cashier are not always appealing to humans so they’re going to eventually be replaced by AI.”

It’s not only the militaries around the world that are trying to use AI for their purposes, but also the government in normal everyday life. According to White House archives, there are also plans to incorporate AI into cities and the internet to increase national security, grow the economy, and improve the quality of life.

AI is already being developed to ID (identify) people in public places so that they could increase the safety and security of the country, but this also poses more risks such as privacy. Could AI be breaching people’s privacy?

AI would obviously be incorporated into homes and businesses but the Third and Fourth amendments protect citizens’ privacy in their homes and unreasonable searches, and AI in the home could be used to spy on people. Not only that, but with today’s generation growing up in technology, many people aspire to be computer technicians and more, so one with the skills could easily breach into the technology developed and this could lead to catastrophe.

Although this would be less likely, what do you think about AI?