Buzz cuts in season?

Short hairstyles seem to be the current trend of early 2024. Ranging from mullets, vintage pixie cuts, and sophisticated lobs, this simple and classic buzz-cut look has become more popular in the new year. Buzz cuts have mostly seen an increase in popularity for the young audience, as a way to take control of their appearance or how they may feel about themselves. As stated in Vogue India, “It should be noted that it is ideal to achieve a fresher and more stylized look.” At Santa Rosa Academy, we are limited in how we dress, act, and do what we do. Little things in our dress code are relatively ‘off limits’. Even with these very few limitations we have in our dress code, this group of boys at school decided to take advantage of this new trend in order to express themselves.

Gage with his friends Kaleb P(on the very left), Dakota (DJ)(left and above Kaleb), Xavi(in the very back), Darvin(in the middle), Blake (in the right back), and Gage (taking the picture which is on the very right)

With an inside perspective on this group, Junior Gage Enriquez was the first to be told to get a haircut. Soon after, he told his friends, all fellow juniors, Will, Xavi, Darvin, Kaleb P, and DJ to all get a buzz cut with him. All agreeing to pursue this new hairstyle together, has influenced this style and trends currently at SRA. Simply put, the buzz cut is recognizable to the person and their situation, or even just for a new change of style in their life. Blake Stump said, “ It’s pretty convenient compared to my hair before.”

on the site man for himself
picture of Drake with buzz cut (Robin James )

Looking from an outside perspective, Junior Jacob Delaney lamented that he buzzed his hair for a ‘new start’, “I buzzed because I wanted a fresh start.” Dulaney said. Dulaney has had a buzz cut recently, although growing out, he cut his hair not that long ago before Gage got his. “I had broken up with my ex so it was a way for me to feel restarted.” Delaney continues. Many people have stated that they do it for their own personal gain, and what they want, or need.

Zayne Malik in GQ India (Adam Hurly )

Darvin Miller adds, “I get more sleep cause I don’t have to (brush) my hair out in the morning.”

This group of guys getting buzz cuts is believing that they can do what they want without being dress-coded for it. “I agreed to get it because I just felt like doing something new with my hair.” Blake Stump said. Though “staff might not like it.” Dulaney says, there haven’t been any instances where anyone has received any repercussions from it.