Understanding & Coping With Seasonal Sadness

Waking up and getting out of bed this last week has been hard! There’s something about waking up to the foggy sky and the sound of the morning downpour that makes me want to stay in bed all day. This week has definitely put a wrench in my motivation and overall mood. Attending school has been rough. However, for some of us, these last weeks have been a breeze and ease for those of us who love the rain and who find the sun and its shine to be the only rain to their parade.

For some of us, these last few weeks have been a breeze and ease for those of us who love the rain and who find the sun and its shine to be the only rain to their parade. Seasonal sadness can come in all shapes and sizes, although because seasons come and go and changes in our weather are bound to happen it’s important to talk about the effect the weather changes have on our mental health. (Leilani Dowding )

Seasonal sadness can come in all shapes and sizes. Although because seasons come and go and changes in our weather are bound to happen it’s important to talk about the effect the weather changes have on our mental health.

I don’t know about you but waking up and getting out of bed this last week has been hard! Something about waking up to the foggy sky and the sound of the morning downpour makes me want to stay in bed all day. Seasonal sadness can come in all shapes and sizes, although because seasons come and go and changes in our weather are bound to happen it’s important to talk about the effect the weather changes have on our mental health. (Leilani Dowding )

Why does the weather change affect mental health?

Have you ever heard the phrase “Winter Blues” or “Sunny Disposition”? These are some of the kinds of common phrases people use to describe their feelings toward a certain season or weather change.

According to Bewell Counseling Services, “ Seasonal changes can have a significant impact on our mental health, often leading to feelings of sadness, low energy, and disinterest in our daily activities. The physical and psychological effects of seasonal change can vary from person to person, but they are generally characterized by a lack of motivation or drive and mood changes.”

I asked members of the Santa Rosa community about how they feel, and to see what seasons or weather conditions they find themselves being happiest and most motivated in, as well as learning what seasons are times they feel sad, unmotivated, and unenergized.

“When it’s rainy and cloudy, I like the weather better and it makes me more happy.” Senior Aurora Crosby said. “ I like gloomy weather better because when it’s super bright outside it’s overstimulating.”

“When it’s really hot, I feel drowsy and can’t get stuff done, same with when it’s too cold, but I feel like I am more productive in the rain.” Senior Boston Page said. “The rainy weather makes me feel productive, it’s the aesthetic.”

“When it’s raining, I feel gloomy and when it’s sunny, I feel happy, like I want to dance.” Senior Shelby James said.

According to some of our Santa Rosa Students, there are different preferred seasons, whether those seasons are the colder and more gloomy seasons or the brighter and sunny seasons. Everyone has a time when they feel most happy and motivated, and being able to recognize this is important to get through the seasonal changes we may not like as much.

Mrs. Miller, SRA School Psychologist, shares her thoughts on seasonal sadness and ways to cope.

“As a school psychologist, I see that with the weather change some students will become more tense, stressed, and overwhelmed.” She then goes on to share the best way to deal with these emotions, “The best way to fight seasonal sadness or seasonal depression would be to prepare. Everyone has different coping skills that work for them. Finding out what works for you is important, note what triggers you. This way you will be less likely to be taken by surprise and when you are, you will know what to do. Lastly, know that you are human and you are doing your best. Love yourself and give yourself grace. Nobody has life down perfectly.”

There are so many resources out there! If you are someone who hasn’t been feeling the best these last couple of weeks when it’s been a bit more cold and rainy, find what works for you and what helps motivate you. Know that if you’ve been waking up recently feeling unmotivated, exhausted, and feeling it’s a drag getting yourself out of bed, know you’re not alone. I guarantee your classmates walking into the first period are feeling the exact same way. So come on Rangers, let’s make it through and keep pushing. Remember, it’s officially the last semester, we are halfway there!