[OPINION] Arguing in Comments is Pointless. Check Yourself

Adam Fagen
“The concept that most people don’t seem to grasp about arguing with strangers online is that sometimes your opinion does not always need to be shared. Not that it’s not important, but because its simply not worth your time trying to convince a complete stranger to see your views.”

As a teenager that spends quite a bit of time on social media, getting caught scrolling in the comment section is incredibly easy. You don’t even realize the time passing by as your consuming the words of others. We all do it, and sometimes it doesnt stop there. You pass a comment that infuriates you a little or gives you the itch to fight back, what do you do? Well I can tell you what you don’t do, and thats leave it alone.

The concept that most people don’t seem to grasp about arguing with strangers online is that sometimes your opinion does not always need to be shared. Not that it’s not important, but because its simply not worth your time trying to convince a complete stranger to see your views.

Not to mention the creator of the post having to witness the battles being started in their comment sections. Theyre people too, seeing those comments could be damaging as their post isn’t getting the positive attention they deserve. If this happens to business owners using social media to promote their business, negative comments like that can potentially harm their business.

As humorous as it is watching two or more people go back in forth under a post that doesn’t even relate to the topic of their conversation, it’s a waste of time. For the people reading the comments and the people using their aggressive thumbs to type them. A few SRA Seniors agree with this topic.

“It’s pointless to have an argument in an online comment section.” said Allyson Berghaus, “You are no longer conversing with a person, but rather a picture on a screen. You have no idea who these people are or what they have been through. If you want to start arguments with someone, do it in person.”

Senior Jakob Motts said, “I find myself having to hold back from arguing in someones comments. Why give your energy to someone who doesnt deserve it?”

There will always be comments about subjects that oppose your opinion or hit too close to home. So before you let your anger get the best of you, check yourself first and remember what you will gain from making your statement. Is it really worth your time and energy?