[Opinion] Why Ban Spotify?

Stas Knop
“Music helps students concentrate on work and can also be useful as an incentive for them to work efficiently.”

With improved technology, people carry an entire music library in their back pocket. Everyone can enjoy free access to a wide variety of entertainment through different streaming services. Some of the most popular music streaming services include Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music, Pandora, and etc.

Spotify and Apple Music are tied at the top music streaming services in this day and age. The thing is, compared to all the other streaming services, Spotify is more accessible as you can use it for free despite hearing occasional ads. Apple Music is a service that you need to pay for to use, making Spotify easily the most accesible streaming service by students.

Last school year at Santa Rosa Academy, Spotify was banned from all the students school computers. Though it didn’t seem to cause an issue as there wasn’t too much talk of it, many students were quite unhappy with the banning.

SRA students, whos names will not be shared, explained their opinions on the banned use of Spotify on the school computers. Students who didn’t use spotify before the banning had no issues, but that wasn’t the majority. Most of the students shared their disappointment and even expressed how mad they were when they banned it.

One student discussed their knowledge of why the website was banned in the first place and talked about how even though they are aware of what happened, they still believe it is unfair to all other students to completely ban this accessible streaming service.

“I hate it (the ban)” said the student, “Music helps students concentrate on work and can also be useful as an incentive for them to work efficiently. I believe it is deemed as collective punishment, which is unfair and unjust to other students.”

Unlike this student, a lot of the student’s don’t actually know why it was enforced in the first place. Despite a lot of SRA’s students not knowing the reasoning behind the banning of the service, the majority of students can agree on the unfairness of one student ruining for all. So was it really worth it to take away access to a helpful tool for students because of one students inability to use it properly?