The History Of Tesla Motors

Provided By: Car And Driver
Tesla Motors First Mass Produced Car. 2012 Tesla Model S shown driving down the highway.

The ability to go from 0-60 miles per hour in 1.99 seconds, is all made possible by electric vehicles, specifically the 2024 Tesla Model S Plaid. With the constantly evolving technology found in the automotive industry came the electric vehicle, a well-known brand that has been leading this change is Tesla Motors.

Contrary to popular belief, Elon Musk did not found Tesla Motors, Tesla Motors was founded by Martin Eberhard and Marc Tarpenning in July 2003. Eberhard and Tarpenning had invested the money they got from selling an e-book business they had started a few years ago, even with this money, it was not enough to start Tesla Motors. Eberhard and Tapenning first met Musk at a gathering for “Mars Society” members. Musk was interested and had money from selling his business, PayPal, to eBay. Musk initially invested 6.3 million dollars and continued to invest.

Musk’s share continued to grow over the years, as he continued to invest more, shrinking the other partner’s shares. Musk kicked out CEO Martin Eberhard and took over in his place in 2008. Musk then went on to take a different approach with the company, mass-producing electric vehicles.

Tesla Motor’s first mass-produced car was the 2012 Tesla Model S, the body style designed by Franz von Holzhausen, who also worked for Volkswagen, General Motors, and Mazda before his years at Tesla Motors.

The Model S was Tesla Motor’s first stepping stone into the world of mass-produced electric cars, three years after the release date of the Model S came the Model X, an SUV variation of the Model S. The Model S and X were both the luxury vehicles of Tesla Motors. While these luxury models were both successes, Musk wished to expand his horizons. Musk went on to create more economical vehicles that would fit commuter’s needs, providing the necessities for commuters.

The Tesla Model 3 was released in 2017, this was a substantially cheaper model compared to the Model S and X, though it did serve its purpose quite well. The Model 3 is a small sedan that provides seating up to five passengers and allows commuters to use the car at a lower running cost, as well as less maintenance as opposed to a combustion engine.

Following the Model 3, was the Model Y, released in 2020. The Model Y serves to be the most practical car for a consumer who is looking to purchase something moderately priced but also comfortable. The Model Y is a midsize SUV, it essentially has the same purpose as the Model 3, being priced lower and allowing it to be used for daily commutes, but it also provides more room to the passengers. The Model Y provides a perfect medium between affordability and comfort.

Though, a small issue that remains among all-electric vehicles is the range they provide. Range anxiety, as it is commonly referred to, is when the driver is unsure of the car making it to another charger with the range that is currently left, as the range on electric cars is lower than the range a combustion vehicle provides, as well as the fact that EV chargers are not as abundant as gas stations yet.

“It can make it hard to find a charger for it, the mileage is usually less than gas cars, for Teslas specifically you need an adaptor sometimes to charge it” Junior, Dakota Vavken-Hylton stated.

Range anxiety is something that will go away, but it will take a few years. The reason behind this is that the technology behind these vehicles is constantly improving, with batteries that will be able to operate more efficiently as well as the growing charging network. Tesla Motors currently owns and operates the largest charging network in the country, allowing for much easier access to charging stations, as well as having a list of available chargers conveniently available from the touchscreen of any Tesla vehicle.

While Tesla Motors has presented a mass-marketable way to sell electric vehicles, the truth is that not everyone is on board to purchase an electric vehicle. For some, this would involve the cost of purchasing one. In contrast, for others, it simply comes down to their preferences, as the joys offered of owning a combustion engine vehicle, just aren’t the same as owning an electric vehicle.

“I’m not a fan of electric cars, just them being silent, there’s no engine, all battery charged” Junior, Dakota Vavken-Hylton stated.